What's new

Progressive era Genesis: What do I want? (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd revive this thread to comment on the albums I picked up.
Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Wind and Wuthering
Trick of the Tail
In a nutshell my comment is:
You'll have to pry them out of my cold. dead. hands.
I swear to you, other than some Transatlantic, Rush, and Spock's Beard I've been completely immersed in these albums. I can't stop listening to them. Honestly. I find that I listen to Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling the most. I don't know if I can pick a favorite but I'll give it a shot.
Foxtrot..no wait, Selling... No, that's not right...it's Foxtrot...damn it, don't ask me such difficult questions!
Some of my favorites on each album:
Nursery Cryme
The Musical Box
The Return of the Giant Hogweed I just love this, I don't know why
Seven Stones fantastic
The Fountain of Salmacis
I find the whole album flows rather nicely.
Foxtrot
It's quicker to list the tracks I don't like as much.
Watcher of the Skies ironically, this is one of the songs that started me on Genesis
Horizon's so short for Genesis that it barely registers as a song
Selling England by the Pound
Same treatment for this one. The only song I don't really like is The Battle of Epping Forest. I agree wholeheartedly with Mike Broadman's comments about this one.
My favorite song and possibly my favorite of all the albums is Firth of Fifth. I really connect with this one. Yeah, I know Supper's Ready is probably the best. :)
Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Please forgive me for what I'm about to say. This is my least favorite of the bunch. I WANT to love it but it just isn't working. The first disc is great but I get lost on the second disc. I'm still trying.
Wind and Wuthering
One for the Vine
Blood on the Rooftops
...in that Quiet Earth'
Afterglow
Mellower than the others but that's great when I'm in a mellow mood.
I've just ordered And Then There Were Three and Seconds Out. After re-reading this thread I'm going to check out the Archive set.
Thanks again to all that pushed me towards this incredible band. There's nothing like discovering music you love to listen to over and over again.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, lookee at this ol' thread. :)
Glad to see you're enjoying the great music. Firth of Fifth is a favorite of mine, too. It's just too damn perfect.
Even if you don't dig the second part of Lamb, at least you have a great album in the first disc. I do feel the whole thing does come apart in the second half, but It and Lilywhite Lillith are solid tunes. Musically, it would have worked better if it would have been edited down to one record, but then there wouldn't be time for the "story" and the elaborate stage shows of the time. And, most importantly, there wouldn't be something for people to make fun of.
In the past few months, I myself have changed my mind about later Genesis. Sure, it still is abysmal compared to the Gabriel stuff, but it is rather good pop music, and that's something I've become more interested in lately. I'm learning to balance my crazy girlfriend-punishing dissonant noise with catchy pop tunesmith. Genesis provides both. Of course, I still find my myself running back to the like of Foxtrot and Selling England much, much more.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
If I might hijack this thread for a moment:

Mike, you're in Massachusettes, right? Can you tell me anything about the location of the Porcupine Tree show in Boston this Sunday night (Paradise Theater, I think)? I'm flying up this weekend for a business trip and would love to catch this show, but the only mention I find of it is on PT's site. Doesn't appear that tickets are available through Ticketmaster (not a bad thing). Any info would be appreciated.

End of hijack. I just started my "classic" Genesis collection myself. The comments in this thread have conviced me to buy the Archives box, plus maybe give Wind and Wuthering a chance. Being a prog fan is an expensive habit these days.

Jim, have you given Marillion a listen yet? They are one of my favorite bands, and if you like Gabriel-era Genesis, you are sure to enjoy the first four Marillion albums.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Jim_C,

Regarding the second disc of The Lamb, it actually contains one of my very favorite songs by them, "The Lamia". Give the disc some more time, I am sure it will sink in.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Jim, have you given Marillion a listen yet? They are one of my favorite bands, and if you like Gabriel-era Genesis, you are sure to enjoy the first four Marillion albums.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've never been to the Paradise Theater.

But, OK, apparently I've been living in a box because I didn't know that Porcupine Tree was playing and the there was a screening of the LOTR extended edition. Jim, could please provide more info on the latter (when & where)?

Marillion has not been a prog band for a long time. In their case, that is a good thing. If you want prog specifically, don't listen to Marillion post 1989. If, however, you want good music, definitely give the new Marillion stuff a spin. They're a band that compilations simply cannot do justice.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Damn, I'm bummed I got to this thread so late. But here I am, at 12:38 a.m., home from work and reading about my favorite early stuff of all time: Genesis '68 to '80. Anything after that I wouldn't even bother with. Back when I lived in Chicago, a radio station that I was just getting familiar with, WXRT, played a song called "All in a Mouses Night" from Wind and Wuthering. It wasn't the lyrics that grabbed me but the music. Granted, I was 16 at the time, and I hadn't heard anything like it before. I became instantly intrigued with this band. Call it weird, but something "clicked" in me when I heard it. After W & W, came Seconds Out, the live album featuring Collins with lead vocals. After I bought that, I went backwards and bought every Geneses album before that. Genesis became my favorite band of all time. I got bootleg lp's (sorry Ron) and imports to boot. There is a great concert book put out by Armando Gallo, a photographer that followed the band everywhere, called I Know What I Like. It's a must for any early Genesis fan but extremely hard to find now. Also, you gotta have the VHS copy (no DVD yet)of A History of Genesis, which tells the bands story from the beginning and has some rare clips of live Lamb that you won't want to miss.

My Genesis CD collection equals about 20 and there are a few interesting CD's I'll mention:

Genesis: I Know What I Like It's kind of a scaled down version of Seconds Out but has some choice cuts like, Firth of Fifth, Carpet Crawl, I Know What I Like, Robbery, Assault and Battery, Squonk (one of my all time favorites)

The Lamb, Musical Box, Dance on a Volcano and Los Endos.

We Know What We Like: The Music of Genesis This is weird but kind of cool. It's the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by David Palmer, with special guests Steve Hackett on guitar, Ian Anderson plays flute on I Know What I Like. If you know anything about early Genesis, you know it's about the music. If you can find this CD, it's worth a listen if you're a big fan.

Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited by Steve Hackett "New" versions of classic Genesis tunes, revamped by a former band member: Watcher of the Skies, Dance on a Volcano, Firth of Fifth, For Absent Friends, Your Own Special Way, Fountain of Salmacis (yea!) I Know What I Like, Los Endos. It's worth a listen just for the fact that Hackett wanted to perform old Genesis tunes again.

I can go all day long but sooner or later I have to get some sleep!

PS: I was also bummed that the movie version of The Lamb never came to pass. I so wanted that to happen.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>...and the there was a screening of the LOTR extended edition. Jim, could please provide more info on the latter (when & where)?

Scott Genualdi

Auditioning
I'm also joining in a bit late.

Jim, definitely pick up the Archive set. It is well worth it for the live versions of the Selling England songs. Five years ago I had the opportunity to catch a cover band mimic the Selling England tour. Considering I was three when the album came out (and missed the real thing), I enjoyed that show immensely.

I've heard Hackett play Horizons many times since his departure from the band. It may be short, but I think it's one of his favorites.

Actually, I've long been a fan of the quiet interlude songs on NC, Foxtrot, and SEbtP. For Absent Friends has resonated with me more recently than it did 15 years ago.

The first three albums I bought were Abacab, Duke and Three Sides Live. From there I worked my way backwards. The albums I still listen to regularly are Trespass through Wind and Wuthering with an emphasis on the big three of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, and Selling England.

When I saw the band 10 years ago, their "new" old medley was the highlight. Including the guitar solo from Firth of Fifth was the most welcome surprise of the concert.

Regarding the London Symphony Album, it's okay. I would have preferred they didn't spend too much time on songs from ...and then there were three... I've always found that album too disjointed. IIRC, London Symphony also did an album on the songs of Jethro Tull.

Now that I caught up on this thread I'm going to return to A Trick of the Tail. I've always found Ripples to be an under appreciated song.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Late also, is Supper Ready?

I'd have to say Lamb is my penultimate Genesis album, but it does take time to creep into the senses, as does Yes' Tales of Topographic Oceans.

Essential Marillion: Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws

There is SO much good prog out there, it is hard to keep up with, especially the more obscure 70s stuff. A couple of my other faves are Eloy (Floating, Oceans, Inside), Gentle Giant, Kansas... too many to list!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The LSO album of Tull music is OK but nothing special. The only really good track is Elegy, because it was always an instrumental. Actually, the best of use of strings in a Tull song after the song was originally recorded is the new version of Life's A Long Song, found on the new live albm and DVD.

While Jeff Ulmer listed essential Marillion from the Fish era, these are essential Hogarth Marillion albums: Season's End, Brave, Marillion.com Anoraknophobia (especially the latter- simply brilliant)

And I love Gentle Giant, too! Now there's a prog band...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The "new" old medley is included on the Genesis: The Way We Walk DVD. I got this DVD about a year ago and it's really quite good. Despite the fact that most of the songs are from the pop era of the band.

Alan_P

Grip
QUOTE]When I saw the band 10 years ago, their "new" old medley was the highlight. Including the guitar solo from Firth of Fifth was the most welcome surprise of the concert.[/quote]

If you liked that set, you should pick up the Genesis Live : They Way We Walk Volume 2 : The Longs

It has the best stuff of the "pop" era genesis, Home by the Sea, Domino, Driving the Last Spike, and the old medley from the 91 tour. Excellent recording. Plus they have just released a DVD from the 91 tour.

I don't know if any of you are aware, but Phil Collins is releasing a new album in November. I'm sure it will be real cheesy.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I listen to UK70s Progressive Rock Greats all the time. They play wall-to-wall Genesis, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, etc.
All of it is 70's era stuff. Fantastic. Good way to figure out what to buy.
Also, check out the Amazon.com reviews for these bands!
My personal faves are Foxtrot and Selling England by the Pound. Nursery Cryme gets a strong honorable mention.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
How could I forget Jethro Tull? While not necessarily "prog" they are essential in the collection. Apparently Ian Anderson is remastering the whole catalogue.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I absolutely adore Tull. I dare say I'm probably their biggest fan on the forum. I saw them in concert recently and they still put on a marvelous show.

NP: Yes, Big Generator *clutches ears and howls in horror*

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Recent Phil Collins comment in Rolling Stone Magazine regarding possible Genesis reunion....

---"I've talked to Tony [Banks] and Mike [Rutherford] about [how] we should never rule out doing something together again, either as Genesis or as three writers writing together," Collins says. "But I think to me the most interesting possibility is the original five of us [Collins, Banks, Rutherford, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett] getting back together again. But I think depending on who you talk to, you get varying amounts of enthusiasm. Peter, who I've read has said it's taken twenty-five years to get rid of the 'ex-Genesis singer' stigma, he probably doesn't want to go back into it. And I kind of think that's a little off-centered thinking, because you do it as a one off. I don't see it as career threatening, and I think maybe he does because he's created something for himself which he doesn't really want to dent."---

Phil Collins said pretty much the same thing (without the Peter Gabriel part) on VH1's "Behind The Music - Genesis".

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I cringe at the thought of a medley. I saw Genesis about 10 years ago at Dodger Stadium, hoping that they would spend at least half the concert doing old stuff. Well, most of the show was the new, more commercial garbage and they ended with a very dissapointing medley of the older stuff like Dance on A Volcano, Los Endos, etc. etc. I would much rather have heard 3 full versions of old stuff rather than a medley of 7 old tunes. It would be way cool if the original 5 got together again, but as usual, it sounds too good to be true.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Banks, Collins, Gabriel, Hackett, and Rutherford got together about 5 years ago (correct me if I am wrong) to re-record "The Carpet Crawlers". Gabriel doing the lead vocals with Collins handling background vocals and drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks