What's new

Problems with Warner double feature DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I purchased what I was duped into believing was a widescreen release of the Warner Bros horror double feature of "Ghost Ship/Dreamcatcher". It was listed on both the back of the case and on the disc itself as widescreen. However upon putting this into my DVD player both films were full-screen. I attempted to return the product to Best Buy where I purchased it, but was given the usual schpeel that I could only retun an open product for the same thing. Even after telling them what the problem was they still wouldn't let me return it. I then attempted to call the Warner Bros number for the defective disc replacement (800-553-6937), they gave me a number to Warner Bros themselves (818-954-6000) who them connected me to another number (818-977-6065) I left a message for this "business and consumer affairs" department who never returned my call. So basically I'm out $15.00 for a mistake made by Warner Brothers and they're not doing a damn thing about it. I just want to get the word out there that the Warner Double features are crap because A./ the majority of them are widescreen to which I have yet to get an explanation as to WHY Warner chooses them to re-release the films in FULL SCREEN even if already released as widescreen on single disc and B./ even if one of these double features say widescreen they may not be.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm hoping this will at least get back to someone who works at Warner who could explain why they STILL are releasing DVD in FULL SCREEN and how I could get my money back that was wasted on one of these bogus double features.

B000JYW5DC.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I would not bother trying to contact Warner Bros. Take the disc back to Best Buy and demand a refund. They sold you a product that was not as advertised on the packaging, and if they cannot provide you with the advertised product, you're entitled to a refund.

It sounds like Warner Bros. is the one who ulimately screwed up here, but that's Best Buy's problem, not yours--you purchased the disc from them, not from Warner Bros.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. Like Carl says. You got a defective disc. And if they want to only replace it with others in stock...tell them to go ahead...but that you'll ask them to put it in their DVD player to make sure it is widescreen as advertised on the package. Once they run out of stock--or see the obvious-- they can give you a refund (or store credit) and pick out something else.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Full-screen DVDs are still being made because PEOPLE STILL BUY THEM. Until the majority of televisions are widescreen, there will still be a market for full-screen transfers. No studio (including Warner) has ever promised that they'd stop issuing them.

If the packaging and disc state that the films are in anamorphic widescreen, and the movies are actually full screen on the disc, then it's clearly a factory error. You should've raised more hell at Best Buy (ask them to play the disc and see for themselves, for example; or demand to talk to the manager in a loud voice).

I will mention that it appears that only a widescreen version of this title exists, so I can't imagine how a full-screen version exists at all (even one that's labeled incorrectly). Are you sure your equipment is set up properly? I see from your other posts that you watch a lot of TV shows on DVD, so it's possible that your DVD player is not set up to handle an anamorphic signal correctly... which would result in an (apparently) full-screen image.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Even that's no guarantee. We cannot rule out the possibility that software providers will modify films to 1.78:1 for people who don't like black bars. Many HD broadcasts are MAR'd to 1.78:1.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Yeah I saw a shwocase showing of Blade Runner. It was a great master taken from the recent restoration in 1080i, looked amazing except that they pan and scanned it to fit 1.78:1.

A similar thing happened when I viewed The Fugitive/U.S. Marshals double feature. The cover says all the extras from both films are on the disc but this is not the case with US Marshals; it only has side A of the previous flipper disc. None of the video extras from side b of the old flipper disc are included. The special features menu still says to flip the disc to side B for the extras. The Fugitive has all the extras.

I actually got through to a rep from Warner by calling 1-866-488-4640. I explained the problem and he took my name address and phone number.

Jon Baker

Second Unit

Thanks for the info. I can tell you right now I am not going to be buying any more Warner double or triple features. I don't know who is behind the production of these DVDs, but it's really a shame that they can't get it right.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

...because you got ONE (possibly) mislabeled disc? Wow. Warner has been, and continues to be, one of the best (if not THE best) studio releasing DVDs. The rest of us will happily continue to buy their products.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They're making some really strange decisions with these double-features though. A lot of them are in Foolscreen, even on some movies that never had a Foolscreen version on disc before. One that they put out recently was "You've Got Mail" (previously issued only in 16x9) and "Must Love Dogs" (which had separate 16x9 and 4x3 discs previously)- You've Got Mail is 16x9, but Must Love Dogs is 4x3, so NOBODY is going to be pleased there!

The Executive Decision/Unlawful Entry double feature still lists Executive Decision as anamorphic even though it has never been.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

The back cover of the Little Princess/Secret Garden Family Double Feature disk indicates that both features include "Both Full-Screen and Widescreen [16x9 1.85:1] Versions."

I assume that both single disk versions of these movies were double sided; WB took the 4x3 side of each prior disk, and slapped them together to comprise the new disks. Neither side includes a 16x9 version, despite what is clearly stated on the package.

I was just coming off the high of having seen Children of Men, and I was curious to see The Little Princess. I had seen The Secret Garden theatrically years ago, and was eager to revisit it. But, obviously, not like this.

I was happy with my Them/Beast from 20,000 Fathoms double feature disk because it was a great deal. I never picked up either disk and both were previously presented 4x3. (As far as I know, this is correct.) The double feature preserves this ratio, and includes the bonus content from the older disks.

However, it seems to be a good idea to be wary of these WB double feature disks if they include widescreen features. This mislabeling is frustrating, and obviously not an isolated incident. The Warner chat braintrust appears dismissive of these DVDs as well, obviously distancing themselves from them and calling them "value-based releases."

I don't consider some of them much of a value, however.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I got the "Moving" / "Greased Lightning" double feature a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I wouldn't write the double features off completely. They're not all duds. :)

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Jay, I feel your pain. I walked out of "Children of Men" and wanted an additional Alfonso Cuaron fix, and saw the "Little Princess/Secret Garden" double feature. I was pretty angry when I got my "16x9 Enhanced" copy home only to find an accursed full frame transfer waiting for me.

These double feature repackagings should be avoided, though perhaps the new-to-DVD titles like "Moving/Greased Lightning" are a little safer.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not forget the "Grumpy Old Men" debacle from last year when Warner originally announced both to be 16x9 then at the last minute turned around and said "oops sorry they are really the same 4x3 versions as before." This was AFTER my copy was shipped out of course. So back it went.

Warner better deliever the goods on that this year. I'm tired of waiting.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I just verified with my Executive Decision disc last night and it actually is anamorphic. That's the R1 snapper release, not the new double feature release. :confused:

Corey_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Robert -

Did you by chance ever hear anything back in regards to the US Marshals/Fugitive Disc? Cause I noticed tonight mine does not have the features of US Marshals either and I'm a bit bummed. I was looking forward to seeing the plane crash sequence in more detail like on the fugitive.

Thanks.

Corey

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig

That's for sure! Most of these titles can easily be found individually packaged in OAR for $5 each. I have noticed a frightening increase in the number of FS discs at local retailers. Even at ones that FS has had a minority presence for many years. And these are new (re)packagings, not just old stock. What's up with that?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

It's doubly confusing when the same stores (Wal-mart, Target, etc) are pushing lower-end WIDESCREEN television sets....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks