What's new

Problems with TV, connection or DVR? (1 Viewer)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Having a couple of issues and hope you all can help. I have two Sony 46" LCD's, fairly new, both connected with HDMI directly from Time Warner HDTV DVR's. In turning the TV on, or changing channels, the picture comes on, then goes black for a second, then comes in OK. Would connecting through a receiver eliminate this nuisance? I visited a friend with the same DVR and his TV didn't have this problem, but I don't know how it was connected.
Another issue has to do with HD reception. Often I'll tune to a HD station like ESPN and get a faulty connection. If I go to standard TV for a while and then back to HD all is fine. The HDMI cables are good quality, but of course the HDMI plug in connection isn't air tight. Does anyone make a TV with a screw in HDMI connection?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the avr (receiver) would not help.
What I suggest is changing the output of your DVR box to 1080i only. This would elminate the need for a HDMI handshake every time the resolution changes.
Let us know if that helps.
Gregg

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gregg I'll try it. I assume that setting the DVR at 1080i will still work OK with 720 and 480 signals?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yes, the signal will be upconverted to 1080i prior to leaving the box. Once the hand shake occurs at 1080i, it will not happen again until the signal is disrupted or the out resolution (out of the box) is changed.
(ps: if you do get a receiver, make sure it is direct mode or video passthrough mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks