What's new

Problems with my projector (Panasonic PT-AX100U) (1 Viewer)

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

I have two problems with my Panasonic. The first has been going on forever (ie, a couple of years probably), the second is kind of new.

1. Occasionally, the projector simply won't turn on. I push the button, the fan starts, but the light bulb never turns on. Eventually the fan shuts down. This problem will continue for a period of time (ie, every few days/week I will go down to the basement and try it), and then magically, it will fix itself.

It receives the signal via an HDMI cable from a HK645 receiver. There are only 2 things hooked up to the receiver - hd cable and a blue ray player.

I have speculated that for some reason, the projector is not getting any signal over the HDMI cable. For a few months, I was turning on the blue ray player, then the receiver, and waiting until the dvd was playing. THEN, I would turn on the projector. This routine had been working, but last night I went to turn on the projector using the standard routine, and it's failing.

When this happens, I try all kinds of things like unplugging everything (ie, power, hdmi, etc). Nothing ever works, I just have to wait for the "magic day" when it decides to turn on.

2. My second issue is - lately (last 3 months or so) after about 5 minutes of use, everything on screen gets an orange hue. This lasts about 15 minutes, then all is well. I can avoid this simply by turning on the projector and letting it "warm up" for half an hour before we watch anything, but this is kind of inconvenient.. lol! I'm thinking this might be the bulb going bad, but I have no idea..

Has anyone experienced either of these issues with this projector?

Thanks!! - Mike

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

not sure.

at 5 years of age....there could be hdmi connectivity issues.

send for repair? or put the cost of repair towards replacement.

good luck!!!

gregg

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Mike D.

Hello!

I have two problems with my Panasonic. The first has been going on forever (ie, a couple of years probably), the second is kind of new.

1. Occasionally, the projector simply won't turn on. I push the button, the fan starts, but the light bulb never turns on. Eventually the fan shuts down. This problem will continue for a period of time (ie, every few days/week I will go down to the basement and try it), and then magically, it will fix itself...
For #1, this used to happen with my Sanyo PLV-60 (10 years old now!). It appeared that if I turned on the receiver first, then the projector the lamp would not turn on. I figured out, quite by accident, that if I fired up the projector first, then the receiver a few seconds later, the prob would disappear. Might be that the projector is not getting the power it needs to turn itself on completely.

Just an observation; it may or may not be related to your prob.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Update: Yesterday, I tried the google (lol). It turns out there is a known issue with this projector, hundreds of people have had this problem. Mine is waaay out of warrenty, so I tried taking it apart and doing the fix that is recommended, and it worked! Funny, when I bought this projector years ago, it got great reviews for price/performance.. But then after about 500 hours of use, this particular issue (something with the IRIS mechanism) pops up almost every time.. I don't know why I never took the time to research this problem before, I guess I just don't have the time to browse the web for fun like I used to...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks