Problems with my Onkyo 606 - Cannot see OSD or get 7.1 to work?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Neil Middlemiss, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    My old receiver died on my last week. I quickly overcame my heartbreak because buying new HT equiptment is great tonic for the emotionally distressed.

I am trying to hook the Onky 606 to my Panasonic BD-10 to get 7.1 surround. I have to use component cables to hook up the reciever to my TV (Toshiba 65H 81) as it is pre-HDMI.

Trouble is, I cannot for the life of me see the on screen display menu for the Onkyo. I have tried it with component in from the Blu-ray player and component out to the TV, with the blu-ray player on, off, playing a disc, not playing a disc - nothing!

Worse to me, is no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get the 7.1 working right. I select the right audio input on the Onkyo, choose multi-channel, and it doesn't seem to recognize my surround back speakers. If I choose a listening option that expands to 6.1, I hear sound back there. I am confused and dying to get it ready to watch Batman Begins before Friday.

Can anyone help me - Onkyo has not replied back to me and I check other threads and forums and nothing has worked.

Thanks!!!

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    For OSD, you'll probably need to use s-video cable or composite (yellow RCA video) cable.

For 7.1, you are watching a movie with 7.1 soundtrack, right? There's only a handful of them. If movie doesn't have a 7.1 soundtrack, you won't get 7.1, using the 7.1 analog outputs (I don't think DPL IIx mode works with analog outputs).

If you are watching a 7.1 movie, it's almost gotta be a setting somewhere, since you said 6.1 works.
    Good luck!

3. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Thanks Ed. I tried it with Be Kind Rewind after playing around with it. I think it is working now, although it does not seem to recognize TrueHD (no icon show up). However, the sound was wonderfull on a few discs, I heard things I had not heard before so I am happier than I was.

I was also able to hook up an HDMI for the sound from my HD-A2 and components for the image - also stunning sounding.

Still have a few more kinks to iron out, but I am getting there!

4. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Neil,

Just a heads up if you haven't solved the OSD problem yet. You can only get the OSD to show on your TV if you are hooked up via HDMI only.

I just tried it by plugging in a set of components I had and got nothing. Hooked the HDMI back in and got the OSD to show.