What's new

Problems with audio cutting out (1 Viewer)

Brett_Haugen

Auditioning
I'm having a problem with the sound through my system. I have a Sony STR-DE635 receiver/amp and a Panasonic DVD-S35 DVD player. They are hooked up using an S-Video cable and a digital optical cable for the audio. Nothing fancy . The problem is, since I replaced my sony player with this one, while I'm watching a disc in Dolby 5.1, the sound will often get quiet, about half the volume It's at, and then slowly come back to the original volume over a few seconds. It does this repeatedly during movies, and always in the same spot in the scenes. It does not happen when I turn off the digital sound (I don' t have DTS so I can't test that0. I've played with the audio options on my player and nothing has helped. Any suggestions?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I've seen audio cutout completely but not quite like you are describing (half volume). I assume you do not have a coaxial connection to also try out on that player. Does it do this with all disks, and multiple times during each disk?

Brett_Haugen

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. You are correct that I do not have a coaxial connection, so I can't test that theory. It does happen with multiple discs and many, many times during the course of a film.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Evidence certainly seems to point at the DVD player itself because, using the same connections with the old player did not exhibit the problem and the disks themselves are probably not at fault based on the failures explained. As this is a farily serious and annoying problem, you may want to consider an exchange for another unit unless I am missing something and someone can come up with another option.

Brett_Haugen

Auditioning
Well, the guy at Sears talked me into trying a new optical cable (before reading this post) saying I can always return it. I've watched about 10 minutes of Jurassic Park and a good hour of Chicago without replacing the cable, and it hasn't happened yet. The flick where I know a few spots where it always happens was a rental and I already returned it (Spirit, Stallion...). Shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks