What's new

Problem with RP82 - Need feedback from users (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I received it last Friday.
Appart from a funny burned smell, nothing seemed wrong with it and it operated just fine (I only watched short scenes from a few of my DVD's).
Yesterday, I read a lot about the RP82 and some complains of owners about their unit not being able to handle scratched or dirty disks well.
I rented Shallow Hal in Blockbuster, hoping it would be scratched and dirty to put the player to test. The disk turned out to have several prominent scratches so it was a good test subject.
After 86 minutes of play time, the disk reached scene where there was gross pixelization. I went back to the scene several times, and it did it every time. Then, when the credits started showing up, there was an even more severe sputter which also reflected on the audio. This was also repeatable.
I tried the same scenes on my old Pioneer DV333 and it didn't even flinch. Not even once. I was really dissapointed to confirm what some others had experienced.
Now I'm wondering if there is a problem with some units or if it is a characteristic of the player itself.
Is anyone else having this problem with rental or scratched/dirty DVD's?
I'll rent some more DVD's before the initial 30 day return period expires but I'm already uneasy. If this is something that happens once in a full moon, I'll live with it in exchange for the good de-interlacing (I still haven't tried its progressive signal because I have not yet received my 53wx52). But if it is going to happen on every movie, this is unacceptable.

SeanWillis

Agent
I've had only one opportunity to "test" my player with a dirty disc and it failed miserably. So I cleaned it and problem gone. I can't see why the ability to play dirty and scratched discs would be a sticking point to purchase a player. If it's dirty, clean it. If it has a scratch and you're worried it won't play, exchange it. Any discs I buy don't have scratches in them and I check discs before I rent. Simple solution to a moot point in DVD player selection.

Cheers,

Sean

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
There is truth to your point. However, it is tough to swallow that a player whose arrival was hailed as the second coming of the Lord cannot perform well in an area where much inferior player don't even brak a sweat.
I know it excels in other areas but most of my DVD watching is from rentals and there is not much I can do about scatches (I could clean the dirty ones).
At any rate, I still would like to know if many other people have come across this problem.
Any other owners with the same issue?

Joe_B_M

Grip
I rent DVDs all the time as well. I used to have problems when playing them on a PS2. Now that I have the RP-82 I haven't had a single problem. Anyway, what I'm saying is that after many rented and dirty or scratched DVDs, I haven't had any problems with mine.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I should make it clear that I will most likely keep the player anyway.
I'm just trying to determine if I have a defective unit and should ask for a replacement, or if this is just the way it is.

Thanks

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I don't rent many DVD's but I did play a fingerprint-encrusted copy of Dr. Dolittle 2 for my newphews on Labor Day. My RP82 didn't miss a beat as far as I could tell.

Exaggeration aside, I don't anyone seriously likened a $200 DVD player to the second coming. You must be thinking about the 34XBR800...

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
An ironic note on the present discussion:
Last night I rented one of those cute little romantic movies my wife likes to keep testing the player ( I'm avoiding renting big picture and audio special effect movies until I recieve my big screen TV which should be today).
I put a bunch of fingerprints on it (mind you, I cleaned thoroughly after I finished testing). The player got me to the menu and as soon as the movie started it skipped and sputtered like hell until it froze.
So I went on to test it in my trusty old Pioneer DV333 and guess what?
It could not even read the disc. This time the RP82 did better. Go figure!
After that, I cleaned the disc very well and the RP82 played the whole movie without missing a beat. This made me feel much better.

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar situation as Joe_B_M. My wife bought a used copy of "The Family Man" with some obvious scratches. My PS2 sputtered badly towards the middle of the movie. I kept advancing it and the sputtering would not stop. Finally gave up. The next day I went out and bought the RP82. That night my wife tried watching the movie again and it played perfectly. Anyway, most large chain rental places will exchange a used DVD if it's all scratched up.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I had major problems with my Sony 560. It was constantly skipping and freezing with the slightest scratch or smudge on the disc. Now that I have the RP 82, it's been a thing of the past. It's a relief not to have to screw around with that problem anymore.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Mine has been doing well with discs that are not scratched too badly.
Now I have bigger problems at hand.
I just received a 53wx52 (Panasonic 53" HDTV) and I'm a little dissapointed by the picture.
I'll have to spend the rest of my life tweaking but part of the problem is, I think it's too big for the distance.

Manny_S

Stunt Coordinator
Large RPTV's haven't really impressed me. Unless you're sitting pretty far back. The few I've seen, people have their primary seating location about 10ft back. My center viewing spot will only be 9ft back, so I'm going with a direct view 16:9 like the Sony 34XBR800. I want razor sharp resolution without any grainy problems.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
You nailed it with the word grainy.
That's exactly what bothers me.
Solid colors look a little grainy.
I does as well on my 27 interlaced tv but to notice it, I have to get close enough that I can see the scan lines and the structure of screen so the grainyness is overpowered by these features.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
All RPTVs look like that right out of the box, some more than others. Reserve judgment until you've done convergence and adjustments with Avia or Video Essentials, and eventually you should consider professional calibration.

Seven or eight feet from a 53" should be fine for viewing.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Mike:

I already did a cal with S&V HT Tune-Up and adjusted convergence in the user menu.
I do realize however that these sets require a lot of tweaking so I'll wait and see what happens.
As far as professional calibration, it is just too expensive. I felt I stretched the budget enough to get this baby.

By the way , I sit 10' away fom mine right now and will move it to 11' when I finish re-arranging the living room.
I just hope I can improve that picture.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Manuel,
After living with my Sony 32" TV for 5 years, I was prepared to be "blown away" by my new 55" Widescreen set. When I got it, I had an idea that imperfections would be blown up, but -DAMN - I had no idea cable was THAT horrible! With even some DVD's, I was disappointed. And I'm sitting at 9 feet!
Anyway, after 2 weeks now, both the wife and I aren't even phased by it anymore. I've had to recalibrate several times, especially during the first week as the CRT's broke in, but it's been worth it. After that first 100 hours, it really does seem to settle down and become more acceptable of a picture. I lookes at that 53 " Panasonic, but had to have the protective shield for my boys and am VERY glad I did. Give it at least two weeks, man! I bet you get used to it :)
Matt

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Matt.
It slowly kind of start to grow on you.
However, when I look at my 27" TV, it seems more sharp and I can't seem to get that sharpness back.
I was prepared for sub-par NTSC picture and actually got more than I expected on that part.
However, I was ready, like you said, to be "blown away", "jaw dropped" and "mind numbed" to quote some of the many descriptions I have read on this and other forums when refering to DVD 480p on HD RPTV's.
That hasn't happened yet, DVD's look fine but not with the amount of detail I was expecting.
I will soon start seeking help in the Displays forum to start tweaking my set and see where I get.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks