What's new

Problem with my DC or just the game? (1 Viewer)

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in another forum and thought I would cover all my bases so any info would be appreciated!!!!
OK...
I've had my DC for about a week. My library consists of:
Sonic Adventure
Crazy Taxi
Virtual Tennis
NFL Blitz 2001
Ready 2 Rumble 2
Yesterday I continued my Sonic Adventure game, I can't recall how long I was playing for but all of a sudden I heard a weird noise coming out of the DC kinda like a harsh noise coming from the disk or disk spinner. It did not affect game play whatsoever. It went on and off for the remainder of my play. I killed the power and started again with no problems.
Today same thing, harsh noise! It only happens with Sonic, usually when I am trying to kill a foe or into heavy action.
I have played all my other games and they play great!
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem and could it be the game or console. I have only had it for a week so I would have no problems returning it.
Thanks!!!

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Make sure that the system is placed on a smooth flat surface. DO NOT place it on carpet or it will likely burn up (I had this happen as did others according to the guy at EB when I took it back)
The DC has some intake vents on the bottom of the unit, so do not obscure these. As for the noise, it could just be an off balance disc. Sometimes if a disc is slightly warped that can happen.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 03, 2001 at 03:17 AM]

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your reply Sean!!!
I do not have it on carpet. I actually have it on top of one of my Klipsch RF-3's. This was for sure some kinda problem with the disc or the spinner. Your suggestion of the disc being slightly warped was valid, so I checked it out on a flat surface compared to the other disc it was identical......
Now that I think of it, it sounded like the lens reader that goes back and forth reading the disc gets stuck and rattles....... But why only with Sonic?????????

Camp

Senior HTF Member
You might have one of the original copies of Sonic Adventure.
There was a bad "press" (is that the correct term?) of this game. Sega exchanged the defective discs quickly. It's quite possible a few of these still exist in retail channels.
I remember one of the problems with the bad disc was loud disc access sounds. Several people returned their Dreamcasts thinking it was a hardware issue.
Contact Sega or the store and inquire about an even exchange.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Rent Soul Calibur and see if it makes the same sound. The drive is really noisy sometimes, and especially in Soul Calibur. If it's the same noise, you don't have anything to worry about.
-Dave
------------------
DVD List

Larry C

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to start off by saying I am a big douche!!!
I have a 2nd controller with a jump pack behind the speaker where I have my DC. Apparently, everytime I ran into "Tails" my 2nd controller behind my DC and speaker would rattle making it sound like my DC was fouling up.
Again I am a big Douche!!!!
rolleyes.gif

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
I have had that happen before.. scared the crap outta me... just be glad you didnt have the 2nd controller in your lap!!! :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember playing a game with a second player controller plugged in with a rumble pak for PSX, N64, and DC (all on separate occasions) and the controller was on a glass table. The rattle used to make me jump every once in a while, then I would pull the controller out and do it again a week later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks