problem with digital connection for ps2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

I have a digital optical from my ps2 to the receiver. Do I have to use componet cables now? The reason I ask is I was messing around last night and I hooked up my monster cable s-video from the ps2 to the receiver and just left the L and R audios unhooked. I wasn't getting any sound until I plugged in the L and R audio wires. I thought by running it like this it would work. The digital opitcal setting is turned on in the ps2 menu.

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

It might be due to the receiver only picking up the video connection which means Video and audio. I have my s-video and L/R audio hooked up to my TV directly and my optical cable going to my MD/DAT port. Try selecting whatever switch belonging to the optical connection to see if it works.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Yea, I agree. It sounds like a receiver set-up issue. Perhaps that input needs to be set to a specific audio out?

4. Michael Cook

I tried all the different audio out settings (vcr, dvd, cd, etc.) No sound. Right now I have the ps2 hooked up to the audio/video jacks on the front of the receiver and the digital coaxial to the coaxial input on the rear of the receiver. I'm getting sound, but it isn't going through the digital coaxial cable. If I unhook the L and R audio cables and just have the digital coaxial, I am not getting sound.

I will mess around some more and see if I can get it to work. Right now I have a comonet hookup on the tv available, but wanted to make sure I can get sound through the digital coaxial before I go by some componet cables.

5. Michael Cook

I tried hooking just the s-video plug to the front of the tv instead of the front of the receiver and it works that way. Weird. So now I know that hooking the video straight to the TV works and I will go buy some componet cables and hook the ps2 straight to the back of the tv that way. This is my only option since I don't have a s-video slot open on the tv besides the one on the front of the TV. And I do have a componet slot open on the rear of the TV.

6. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

The PS2 does not have a digital coax it is digital toshlink out. That could be your problem right there.

7. Michael Cook

sorry, I meant digital optical.

8. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Have you tried it with different games? I use an optical connection with my ps2 and noticed when I tried the demo version of Parappa 2 there was no sound, but this is the only time it has happened to me...

9. Michael Cook

Yes, I tried it with games and movies.

10. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    You need to setup the digital output on your PS2. Power up your system without a game, and go into the menu and do it.

11. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

If you look at his first post he said this.
    The digital opitcal setting is turned on in the ps2 menu
    I am not sure what to tell you. [​IMG]

12. Michael Cook

I got it to work as long as I hook up the video straight to the TV. That is all I needed. Just never could figure out why I wasn't getting sound when I hooked up the s-video to the front of the receiver.