What's new

Problem getting sound from a subwoofer using Optical audio. (1 Viewer)

spankmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey scienza
Hey everybody, as you can see im extremely new to this forum, so hopefully its not too much of a problem i just made my account and am already making a thread but im having a major issue

I have a panasonic 42' 1080p plasma, Pioneer Vsx-519v-k receiver with a ps3 and xbox 360. The setup seemed so easy! im running HDMI out from the 360 and ps3 to the TV inputs. Then, going Optical out to the receiver, and then Subwoofer Pre-out to my Klipsch sub. Im getting fine audio out of my infinity towers, but im getting almost NOTHING out of my sub! i can turn it up all the way (actually being 11 in this case LOL) and i get a very small bit out. Enough to tell its definitely on, but its a wisper. I previously had it set it very differently and far more complex including running audio through the separate audio for the ps3 and 360, an external audio switcher, to an EQ, and THEN to the receiver and it seemed to be fine somehow, but im not sure what i did that fixed it or if im missing something in that loop that i did. Ive tried hooking up an mp3 player to the switcher, to the EQ and then into the receiver but still now bass.am I being silly with something im doing here? any help would be appreciated! I thank you all so much!!!!

*edit* i figured out how i had it set up before. Basically i was giving the Sub full range cause it has right and left inputs. Its a powered sub and it has its own speaker ports and everything. Its a Klipsch ksw12, any ideas from anyone?

Problem solved! see post 7 if your having a similar situation, thanks again guys!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Lets start with the basics, you do not want to run HDMI to the TV and then to the receiver. Except for the tuner channel, most (as in almost all) TVs only send a stereo signal through the optical out connection. Either (1) route the HDMI through the receiver first, or (2) if your receiver is HDMI passthrough, also run a digital signal (optical or coax) from the PS3 and Xbox360 to the receiver.

spankmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey scienza
Thank you for your replies. I had no idea you would actually have to turn the sub on in the amp configuration, i will look up how to do that to see if thats the problem. And to Anderson, ill try your way as well to see if that gives me my full signal.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have a Panasonic plasma with a PS3 and know for sure that the television will not pass the discrete .1 sub channel from an HDMI 5.1-7.1 source through the optical out. You will definitely have to run an optical cable from the PS3 directly to the receiver to get the .1 discrete sub channel signal. The optical out on the Panny will only output 5.1 from the ATSC tuner (only if the channel is broadcasting in 5.1, of course). Any HDMI 5.1-7.1 audio signal will be downsampled to a 2.0 stereo signal and thus will not give you the discrete .1 sub channel.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you are only getting stereo with your current wiring configuration you need to set all of your speakers to Small.

spankmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey scienza
Thank you all for your help and especially Robert_J! I can honestly say im very old school in my home theater ideas and im used to an amp/receiver being just that and only that. put sound in, make it louder and then put it out so im not used to all this settings stuff and until now, couldn't grasp the fact the the receiver was more like a giant receiver/amp/digital eq/mixer/ EVERYTHING lol. Ive decided to go hdmi passthough with all my components, and my results were much better. Still not what i wanted though. and after delving into the endless pit that is the user manual for my receiver, i found a way to make sure i was getting bass from my rears, fronts and not my center. I set the Crossover so i got full range out of my infinity towers and set my subwoofer level up to the max so i could adjust it from the sub itself based on the situation i.e movie gaming etc... and FINALLY I got my low end back! Thank you all for your knowledge and experience! I hope i can pass on what ive learned to others in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks