Problem Child - Tantrum Pack (Big Fat Full-Frame)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Ringwald, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=34477

I was eagerly waiting for this to come out.

This is the second time Problem Child is making it to DVD...in Full-Frame.

The is the first release for the sequel, and it's also Full-Screen.

These movies are classics to me, and sadly, I'll be sticking to my VHS editions...

I have no need to upgrade...

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah these are fun little movies. I'd get them, since the 2-pack is under 20 bucks, but not if it's full-frame. I'm guessing this is another unmatted hackjob.

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    This is unfortunate. I get a kick out of these films. I remember my Florida vacation back in 1990. The rain was so bad, we ended up going to one of the theatres in Orlando, and that was where I first saw "Problem Child". I like the concept Universal is taking with these "Franchise Collections", especially "Smokey & The Bandit" and "American Graffiti", but as long as these Problem Child disks are pan & scan, there's no way in hell I'll buy it. A shame.

4. Derek P

Derek P Stunt Coordinator

Universal seems intent on destroying my childhood. I refuse to buy full frame, thanks to their family no widescreen policy I have yet to buy Beethoven, Land Before Time and the first 2 American Tails and now this. I would think a studio would care about this amount of movies not bought with the number I buy but I have a feeling Universal doesn't care. I still want to try does anyone have a phone number or any content information I think we need to stop Universal before this spreads.

Rant over.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

I hate to be the bearer of pessimism, but I'm starting to think we may have to start getting used to this at it seems to be happening more and more often. The last couple of weeks have been brutal for P&S only announcements on catalog titles. The sad thing is that most of the worst offenders probably won't respond to our criticisms. Has anyone on this forum tried to go an alternative route like contacting the Director's Guild of America? Or maybe even writing to someone like Roger Ebert about the problem, perhaps one could get him to address this problem in his newspaper column or better yet mention it on his show.

6. Robert Ringwald

That seems to be the best route.

Matilda
    Little Monsters
    Problem Child 1/2

Those are just a few of the titles being given the bad treatment that I would have purchased....

The studios have to realize how much they're missing out on these $$ making titles. They may have small followings, but I have VHS copies, I have no reason for a featureless full-frame DVD...

I would shover $$$ out for a bare-bones OAR release of a film with it's original audio track and no extras, but forget about this...

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Is this any way for 2 good movies with the late, great John Ritter to be treated? Is this any way for any movie to be treated? Will we have to mount another campaign?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Am I asking too many questions?

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I didn't know Little Monsters got announced [​IMG]

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

No wonder this is titled the "Tantrum Pack", seeing how it will cause us to have a tantrum! [​IMG]

10. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Maybe i'm pushing it, but is there any chance these movies are ment for fullscreen like the Kubrick movies?

11. Robert Ringwald

Highly doubt it.

Well, the set is out now... anyone pick it up or hear any indication that it's anything but full-frame?

12. WillG

WillG Producer

BTW, Not to start another Kubrick thing here, but I was watching "The Shining" recently with the framing in mind. I don't see how people can honestly believe that this was meant for Full Screen. Right off the bat, there are two flubs in the opening minutes because of the open matte.

1. The Helicopter shadow in the opening titles fly-by.
    2. The first shot of the Overlook. It's an airel shot and in the top of the frame you can see the whirring helicopter propellers.

For the rest of the film, hardly anything ever encroaches the top 1/3 of the frame.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have just borne witness to the first time that the words "Kubrick" and "Problem Child" were uttered in the same sentence. A moment of silence, please.

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Guys, let's clarify. Pan and Scan is different than full frame.

The PROBLEM CHILD films are most likely open matte titles, no panning and scanning involved.

Pan and scan is evil. It is a total reformatting of the entire film. Adding artifical pans and scans to the film that weren't inteded to be there. It is mainly on 2.35:1 titles. Not a lot of the titles that are being complained about are panned and scanned.

Open matte isn't the greatest but if you have a widescreen TV, you can matte it to look like it is OAR.

15. WillG

WillG Producer

I think that some people's notions on open matted transfers fall victim to some misconception. We know that in many cases directors hard matte effects shots so when the full screen transfer is done there is no choice but to Pan and Scan. However, even if there are no effects at all, stuff still gets panned and scanned often in a full frame transfers. We don't always know how much pan and scan there actually is.

16. Jon Martin

But in the FX free, 1.85:1 PROBLEM CHILD release, it is safe to say there is no panning and scanning.

Movies made since video are more aware of the TV safe zone and often shoot scenes with that in mind.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Kind of a shame since Universal went through the trouble to make new 16x9 transfers for the first two Smokey and the Bandit movies. You'd think they'd do the same for all their Franchise sets.

18. WillG

WillG Producer

True, but do you know for certain that Problem Child does not contain any pan and scan whatsoever? I'm sure it is mostly open matte - maybe completely open matte. I'm just saying there are full frame transfers of flat films (even without FX) that do have pan and scan applied in some places. Don't know what the reasons are exactly, but it does exist.

19. Jon Martin

I haven't seen the disc, but have seen it on TV and it looked open matte.

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Maybe there's another side to the coin. I've always believed that a fullframe only title falls under the "not worth it to the studio" category. It seems like rather than paying to have the original film (which may not even be available or need significant restorations) to DVD, they just decide to use the already existing tapes that contain the 4x3 material.

So to play Devils Advocate, it may be a choice for the studio to either put the film out as is (i.e. 4x3) or not put it out at all. Sure it sucks for us, but that's how business works.

Again, this is all speculation on my part, but I can't help thinking there's got to be SOME truth to it in certain cases. A fully restored 16x9 transfer of a movie may not be worth the studios time and money in all cases.