Private school dvd reannounced for March !!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Xenia Stathakopoulou, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I remember watching that American Girl scene (which was choreographed by Paula Abdul) and noticing it was Rick Springfield, and then realizing that I already had the CD!

Great song.

2. Jon Martin

Just got the DVD (and TOMBOY, since Amazon had one of those "Buy this and TOMBOY for $20.00" buttons pop up.)

First off, the song PRIVATE SCHOOL is in the film. It is the second song played at the dance at the beginning (during the part where all the guys are sitting and with the balloons). It is instrumental though.

It could be a case that it was never supposed to be part of the film, but with all the different versions of it, I for one may have been used to the other version. The TV cut is a bit longer (especially the Modine in drag in Russell's room scene), and re-edits a lot of the film, including the music. So, they probably used it a lot more in that version.

The transfer is pretty amazing though. I never thought it would look this good.

But, once again, this version is different from the TV version as this, being widescreen, crops the top and bottom of the picture. There is slightly more picture information on the sides, but the TV cut was pretty much an open matte version.

I did a comparison of the Rick Springfield sequence, since that looked a bit different. In the TV version, in a shot of Phoebe, you can see her sneakers and legwarmers. In the DVD, it crops it above the legwarmers.

3. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

Jon, we deserved a knockout transfer after what they pulled on us in 2004 !!Lol !

4. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, we also see LESS of Betsy Russell at some scenes.

5. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Look at it his way, less betsy russell is better than no betsy russell. We should just be glad this finally came to dvd! Maybe a couple years down the line, Universal will release the longer version of the movie on dvd.

6. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Hence, "LESS of Betsy Russell." [​IMG]

7. Jon Martin

Jon, the information is NOT matted out. Just checked.

8. Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb Second Unit

"the information" [​IMG]

9. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Jon , I remembered that scene you spoiler tagged.Im just saying im happy to have it on dvd in 1 form or another.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Sounds like the situation with the Mischief DVD, where Kelly's lower region would normally be matted out, but they deviated to make sure it stayed in frame.

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

I presume that this extra tinkering would explain the 2-year delay in releasing the film to DVD. [​IMG]

12. JimChan

JimChan Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I had both the 4:3 VHS and the current widescreen DVD, and yes, in some scenes, some of Betsy skin has been cropped, including the famous horse riding one [​IMG]

The ideal DVD release is that it will include both 4:3 and WS versions.

13. Xenia Stathakopoulou

There is a hilarious dvd review over at dvd verdict.com, it has what supposedly went down, when the producers were planning out this movie.Just type in private school at their dvd review section to see it.