What's new

Private school dvd reannounced for March !!! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Youre welcome Alex.Cant wait for my copy to arrive here in Greece, hopefully in the next couple weeks along with night of the comet.I bet Private school gets double dipped sometime in the next 3 years, with extras and a goofy name!Maybe theyll call it Private School /the firm and saggy edition, or Private school /firm definitely firm edition!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
The dvd backcover has a copyright 2004 on it , which means these dvds were pressed back then and cancelled, probably just a couple weeks or so before whatever the release date was.Did they ever give the reason it was cancelled back then????

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
At last !!!!!!!!!!!!A dvd review has finally made its way to the internet, go to dvd talk.com type in private school at the dvd review section to see it.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
The person at dvdtalk seemed like he was pissed at something all throughout his review. Swear words left and right...not very good if you ask me.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ok, Ive recieved mine in the mail today !!!!!!!!!! Here are my first thoughts on it.First of all , there is a play movie menu, and a subtitle menu as well.Havent had time to watch it, but from chapter skipping the transfer looks fantastic ! I would even compare the transfer to the 2003 dvd edition of national lampoons animal house, it looks that good !! The sound is that of typical mono tracks, but when a song comes on it almost sounds like 5.1!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I hope im wrong, but I just finished watching the dvd,the private school song is nowhere to be found on the movie.Maybe I blinked and missed it, but im pretty sure its not in.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

So then that would make it the same as the VHS release.

Like I said earlier in the thread, every version of the film seems to be different, the VHS, the cable, the broadcast are all different from each other. It looks like the DVD will just be a version of the VHS release.

Now if only the broadcast version would be released.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Losing a song sucks, but I've been a Betsy Russell fan since I saw them her in Tomboy. I'm going to get it anyway.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Looks like I will also be hanging onto my old VHS, which does include the song, "Private School." Several Universal titles, including Sixteen Candles, appeared in different versions on VHS alone. My Private School tape dates from the film's original VHS release (1983/84). I do recall there was a later, 1990s-dated VHS release with a new cover. I did not ever view this version, but I suspect it featured an altered, or further altered, soundtrack from that of the original VHS release.

I seem to recall that the later VHS issue had the infamous, "Home Video Version: Some Music May Be Rescored For Home Video" disclaimer. The tape I have simply says, "Home Video Version," so it seems that it too has a soundtrack that differs from the original theatrical version. However, it does include "Private School" and "You're Breaking My Heart." Not having seen the film in theaters, I'm not quite sure what is missing from it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Im not saying that just that 1 missing song, should stop you from getting this release.Private school has never looked or sounded better, im just slightly upset a movie entitled private school doesnt have the song private school.Here is a couple examples why this is bad,imagine if paramount would release beverly hills cop without the heat is on song on the dvd.Imagine if when the legend of billy jean comes to dvd, the invincible song is missing.Anyway back to the topic at hand, all songs seem to be intact except private school,even the cheesy Pheobe Cates tunes.For me the movie is just as funny as porkys,its strange watching this movie look all cleaned up in digital quality .I was used to seeing it on worn out tv prints years ago, but im not complaining !

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Forgot to mention, the other major song on this movie, youre breaking my heart does indeed appear as the first song in the movie on this dvd.So im 100% sure private school is the only song missing here.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Thought id be nice and make a note for everyone on what songs definitely appear on the dvd.They are youre breaking my heart ,rock this town,she said no,american girl ,i want candy,nasty girl,lil red riding hood,da da da, all this time,best years of our lives, and of course the cheesy Pheobe Cates tunes.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Thanks for posting all the songs, Tony. Interesting to note that "Da, Da, Da" is included because that song is not on the VHS I have. I cannot remember if "Best Years of Our Lives" is present on the tape. I will have to check the tape out tonight. I am really curious as to what exactly was on the theatrical soundtrack.

On the DVD, which songs appear in place of "Private School"?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ill try to watch it again tonight and post exactly at what scenes the songs appear , ill get back to report it here sometime tomorrow.Youre welcome Jon. I think if im not mistaken, when I watched it last night, DA DA song appears in the scene where betsy russell strips for michael zorek.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I think from watching it again last night, the song overdubbed for private school song is rock this town, because it appears twice in the film, where they jump over the fence to spy on the girls.American girl appears during the girls gym class scene,just 1 touch appears 3 times in the movie , 1 of them is instrumental only,vanity sixs nasty girl everyone knows where that appears along with i want candy.Theres more that I CANT REMEMBER AT THE MOMENT. Sorry, cant compare to vhs versions ,all I have is the new dvd.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I am glad that American Girl is present because that is the song and scene I remember best. When was the song Private School played in the movie? It has been years since I have seen this.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
That american girl song seems to only exist in this movie,cant find it on any Rick Springfield cds.Whats the story with that song ?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It was on the Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet LP. My sister had it. I don't know if that's out on CD or not.

Edit: It is out on CD. I just listened to the sample clip for American Girl at the AMG, and my reaction was, "Holy shit, I remember that song."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks