What's new

Private Parts, any chance of a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
What are the chances of Paramount giving us a new release of Howard Stern's Private Parts? I don't know what kind of following it has here but I would love to get an anamorphic release. I read a couple of years ago that Stern wanted to get a whole heap of extras for the DVD but Paramount declined.

Does anyone else like this film? We don't get Howard Stern on our air-waves here but I thought his film was hilarious, we saw it at the cinema and usually catch it when our local TV stations screen it (usually late Saturday nights).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

This is absolutely true.

Stern brought his campaign to the airwaves lashing
out at Paramount for not allowing him to do a
commentary or include all the extra material he had.

Stern wanted to buy the film outright from Paramount
in order to make it HIS film.

Now that we live in the age of double-dipping, I
think perhaps Paramount may now be more open to the
idea of letting Stern do the version he always wanted to.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Every once in a while, a caller brings this up to Howard and he gets all riled up again (understandably). Happened again last week.

Hopefully Paramount will come to their senses and realize the huge market for a SE of this film for Stern fans.

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
I found it amazing that Paramount would not sell the video rights to Stern only to continue and sit on the material.

What would be the reason to hold back the extra footage and a commentary by the star who is more than willing to do it? Not to mention promote the heck out of it.

Sounds like bad business sense.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
If I'm not mistaken, "Private Parts" was released at a time when Paramount was just testing the waters with DVD.

I believe Paramount was a supporter of the (thankfully) ill-fated DIVX format, and very much against the idea of anyone "owning" what they perceived to be a "master" of one of their properties. Extra features were out of the question.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think he may have said he is going to try to contact Paramount again about it. Could be a possibility now that Paramount is willing to revisit a title every once and awhile

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I would love to own this on DVD. I currently have the VHS which I've watched at least 20 times. This movie is hilarious.

For whatever reason, I never got around to purchasing the DVD, but I'd gladly hold out if a special edition becomes available with all (or even some) of the aforementioned bonus material.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The movie is great, and a Stern commentary would be fantastic. Hopefully this well get made!

Stern should stick it to them, put all the extras he has on a dvd and sell it with a cd of the commentary, South Park season one style.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
With Howard parting ways with the airway soon enough, I am sure it we will have a lot of time on his hands. I knew there was reason I never bought the original release... Here's hoping Jenna Jameson is in the commentary... :)

Ryan

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I would love a SE of this film.

I think the reason behind the NON SE is maybe because of all the backlash Stern is facing with FCC.

But if they do a SE, I hope its UNRATED, meaning Stern can say whatever he wants on the commentaries or interviews

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I think it is because Paramount rarely gives catalog titles significant special features on the first release. Then, the reissuse some titles as "Special Collector's Editions" at a slow pace.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Paramount stinks ...

Look at 'Happy Days' with 0 extras. There must be a TON of stuff they could have included.

LAZY, LAZY, LAZY

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
While I'm not a Stern fan, I found this movie hilarious and would gladly pay for a new SE. With all of the Stern fans out there I would think it would sell quite well.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I have the original disc and would be happy to double dip on this title, and if Stern is willing to do stuff for this DVD, paramount should take advantage of that willingness instead of ignoring it.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I bought the R2 disc from Germany because it is ananmorphic--well, that and because I enjoy listening to Pig Vomit's rants in German.

I'd buy an SE of this in a heartbeat!

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
Don't blame Paramount. Some here do not know Howard very well.

Had to get in on this thread. Howard says it's all Paramount's fault for the lack of a Special Edition DVD. According to Howard, Paramount won't sell Howard the rights and let him release a Special Edition because they don't want to be embarrassed by the sales he would generate. Do you really think that's what a Paramount executive really said? Howard is lying. It's all about Howard's greed. He most definitely demanded something like 99% of the profit if he was going to participate in a Special Edition release and Paramount just brushed him off.

Howard has a long history of trying to milk everything out of products with his name. Ever wonder why his Channel 9 TV show is not out on DVD? Howard wants the mother lode, an unfair share of the profit. Howard enthusiastically promoted "Son Of A Beach" while it was on the air, but you ever wonder why Howard never once promoted the DVD release of "Son Of A Beach"? He couldn't get the DVD deal to be outrageously in his favor.

PRIVATE PARTS is getting short shrift in the DVD department because Howard wants it all. It's as simple as that.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Do you??

You are making a lot of assumptions about Howard and what Howard had "demanded".

Do you have proof he said these things or are you merely speculating?

Btw, welcome to the forum.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks