What's new

Printer Sharing & Wireless Network (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok here's the low-down, I've got a new laptop and I want to print to my USB printer. The printer is currently hooked to my Desktop PC, but since that desktop is only running XP Home, I can't share the printer with my laptop.

I don't want to isntall XP pro, so I was looking into a print server and I have a few questions.

First off, I have a wireless router hooked to my PC (B/G) - It's next to my desktop because the desktop doesn't have a wireless card. I use the wireless network with the laptop and I want to connect to the printer somehow.

I am looking at the following 2 items:
Linksys Wireless USB Print Server
Linksys Wired USB Print Server

Question 1 (about the wireless server): I assume that if I get the wireless print server, that I can still access it from my desktop (since it does not have a wireless card)? How does that connection work? I assume the printer connects to the server (via USB), but can I connect the server to my router (via Ethernet) so I can see it from my non-wireless desktop?

Question 2 (about the wired server): Can I incorprate the wired print server to my wireless router so my laptop (with the wireless card) can see the printer?

Would either method work with my configuration?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Question 1: The Wirelesss Print Server is using the printer's USB connection, so you could not also connect the computer to the printer using USB.

Question 2: Yes, no problem with that configuration. You could also just connect the printer to your desktop computer and share it, but then you'd have to leave the desktop on all the time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But my desktop (which the printer is hooked up to) is XP Home and I am almost positive that you can't share printers with Home Edition.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

You should be able to share a printer with XP Home. I had my Epson multifunction shared off my wifes PC that was running XP Home. On your Desktop PC go to Start>Settings>Printers> and then right click on the printer in question and choose Sharing. Click on Share this printer and give it a name and it should show up as a networked device on your notebook. You'll likely have to install the drivers for it but as soon as you connect to it it will likely ask if you want to use the driver from the other PC so just say yes and away you go.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Andrew, I'll try that. I realize this will mean I have to keep the desktop on, but that doesn't bug me as I leave it on so I can share my iTunes on my laptop.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
If you have the network setup to share iTunes songs, then you should be able to share a printer as well.

But more importantly, how do you like your new laptop??

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the help. I was able to share the printer. Orignaly there was a warning about disabling the firewall, so I was afraid of going that route and figured that XP Home edition couldn't do it.

But I went through the steps and things work well. I even like how I'm able to print through the desktops PDF writer. I love it.

Although, the 1920x1200 resolution makes things a bit hard to read at any more than 2 feet away from the screen...I also haven't really put it through any hard core stuff....I did do some video compressions in Premiere and tried the GTI Racing Demo, which was SWEET!

Other than that, I'm loving the portability. :emoji_thumbsup: I definitely love the wireless internet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks