What's new

"Pride and Predator" (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Imagine a period adaptation of Jane Austen's timeless classic Pride and Prejudice, when halfway through the alien hunter from Predator crash lands and starts going to town on the protagonist. If it weren't in Variety, I wouldn't believe it were true:Rocket launches 'Predator'Clark to direct aliens vs. Jane Austen pic By [url=/index.asp?layout=bio&peopleID=1231]MICHAEL FLEMINGElton John's Rocket Pictures hopes to make the first Jane Austen adaptation to which men will drag their girlfriends.Will Clark is set to direct "Pride and Predator," which veers from the traditional period costume drama when an alien crash lands and begins to butcher the mannered protags, who suddenly have more than marriage and inheritance to worry about.

Shooting will begin in London later this year. John exec produces, and his Rocket partners Steve Hamilton Shaw and David Furnish are producing.

Clark, who directed award-winning short "The Amazing Trousers," wrote the script with Andrew Kemble and John Pape.

"It felt like a fresh and funny way to blow apart the done-to-death Jane Austen genre by literally dropping this alien into the middle of a costume drama, where he stalks and slashes to horrific effect," Furnish said.

John will supervise the music, as he does in each Rocket-produced film.

The company is in production on the CG-animated "Gnomeo and Juliet" for Miramax/Disney; James McAvoy and Emily Blunt voice the title characters. Rocket is also behind the Sundance series "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With ..."Hell yes.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This has to be a joke, because it sounds stupid. How do a bunch of landed gentry p***ies do anything but die in this lame idea for a film? The "prey" in the first film had advanced weapons and only one survived. The ideas for Predator films just get dumber and dumber.

What's next? PREDATOR VS CATS: The Musical? :rolleyes

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Adam mentioned the Predator predator, but the story doesn't. I find it hard to believe they'll be able to get the rights to the original one. With talk of a Predator remake, they won't want to dilute the franchise further.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm sure it'll just be a suspiciously similar looking alien. And Edwin, I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Picture something with a similar sensibility to Bubba Ho-tep

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I guess I jumped the gun again. I saw 'Predator' in there and jumped to a conclusion. My bad.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Man, I hope it's not meant to be taken seriously. I'll go see it as a comedy and campfest only. If this is meant to be serious then it's a horribly lame idea.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I don't think you guys are giving enough credit to late 18th century weaponry. A multi-barreled flintlock rifle, accurate to 300 meters, would be a threat to an alien or predator. The biggest impediment would be reload time (15 seconds minimum), which could be mitigated by multiple barrels or by multiple weapons. Wealthy Englishmen from that time period would have been good riflemen from their hunting and military service, and also potentially skilled at fencing. And don't forget that in the first Predator movie, Dutch defeats the predator mainly using cleverness and low-tech traps. Finally, we know that the predators have fought humans in the era of flintlock firearms, judging from the flintlock gun that the predators give Danny Glover as a trophy at the end of Predator 2.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
this sounds like one of those straight-to-video semi-parodies where even the cover art is an obvious rip-off of something else. it just happens to have gotten a good press story.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Oh, why not. Let's have the predator skewer someone on stage at the Oscars and run the audience and their 8000.00 suits right out of the building ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks