What's new

Price reduction for Splash? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Splash was released on DVD in March 1999. It's non-anamorphic and has jack for special features. Yet the MSRP is $29.99. The only was I've found to get it for under $20 is to import from Canada, and it's not much under then. This seems rather high for a 19-year-old movie.

Any chance they'll halve the MSRP anytime soon? Disney done this with a lot oof their early catalog titles like Adventures in Babysitting. Or better yet, any chance of a rerelease with a new anamorphic transfer and maybe a trailer or something?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Better still, Touchstone could re-release the film with the same features that are on the Region 2 (UK) disc:
  • 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
  • Commentary track (Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz IIRC)
  • "Making a Splash" featurette
  • Tom Hanks and Daryl Hannah audition tapes

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
This dvd is out of print and the current price for this on ebay is much higher than $20.00.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That DVD is indeed marked in BV's website in a manner consistant with Out-Of-Print titles. The VHS is still in-print, but not the DVD.

No mention there of an announced SE version.

The SRP field is marked N/A...anyone can charge whatever the market will bear.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the search function isnt working at the moment, but there was a thread in which it was announced that an SE of SPLASH was due this year...(Summer)?

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't think an announcement has been made, only assumptions - mainly from comments at last year's Oscar ceremony from Ron Howard about recording a Splash commentary for "a new DVD".

This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
This may have been for the R2 release (undoubtedly it was) but I can't see Disney sitting on an unused commentary track for long...
They've been sitting on commentaries for both Copland and He Got Game for a long time now. In the case of Copland, the commentary was done in 1998. Isn't there also a Ridley Scott commentary that was done for the G.I. Jane laserdisc 4 or 5 years ago?

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks