What's new

Price of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck 2010 Releases (1 Viewer)

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
I just checked both Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. The US version of Amazon has the price for a single disc Bugs Bunny Hare Extraordinaire August 2010 release at $17.49 plus tax while Amazon.ca has it selling for a $22 and change. Don't you think, in comparison to the Golden Collections which included 4 discs with oodles of extras, that the price(s) are too high. To extrapolate the Canadian price over 4 discs, it would cost us $88 plus tax. I never bought a Golden Collection that high. This means that the new releases will cost about $1.50 per short whereas the average price per short was under $1.00 for the Golden Colection. Warner Home Video is pretty clever - sell at a seemingly low price of $20 but charge them more per short. Why not package the 4 discs expected in 2010 and charge what they did in the past - it worked before, why not now? Oh yes, to make more money....

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^They'll wait until collectors have already purchased the 4 expected disks and *then* offer a "package" at a reduced price.

Yes, comparatively speaking the price is a bit high, especially considering that I paid no more than $25 for *any* of the "Golden Collection" sets with a couple under $20. All purchased new. But for "Joe Average" it's less overall because they can get "just Bugs" or "just Daffy" and not have to get all the other shorts they typically consider "filler". I get the impression these new single disks are really aimed at the casual purchaser and not people who want *all* the WB shorts released.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

comparatively speaking the price is a bit high, especially considering that I paid no more than $25 for *any* of the "Golden Collection" sets with a couple under $20. All purchased new.

For you to have purchased them at those prices, though, that means you must have waited for a price drop. I remember when the first Golden Collection came out, the "discount" price was around $45 or so. Like almost everything else, once these titles got some age on them, the prices went down.

I'm sure the same would be expected to happen with the single discs, too. In a year or two, the current ones will probably drop to near a tenner.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
I never paid less than “forty-something” dollars for a LT Golden Collection… and STILL always felt I got my money’s worth! With fewer discs and NO extras, I doubt I’ll feel the same about these, regardless of the price!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

For you to have purchased them at those prices, though, that means you must have waited for a price drop. I remember when the first Golden Collection came out, the "discount" price was around $45 or so. Like almost everything else, once these titles got some age on them, the prices went down.

I'm sure the same would be expected to happen with the single discs, too. In a year or two, the current ones will probably drop to near a tenner.
Yes, I waited for a price drop. I couldn't bring myself to pay those early prices even though I really wanted those sets. I learned that with most purchases waiting 6 months to a year can return excellent savings. Sometimes as much as 75% off. Because of that I've become somewhat of an opportunistic purchaser. Considering that my backlog of just TVonDVD titles would take over a year to watch (at 3-4 hrs. daily) I can afford to wait. I'll wait for a price drop on these as well (or get them from CH while cycling an account). Right now the price would have to be $10 or less before I'd even consider the purchase even though they are fairly high on the aquisition list.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

Precisely. If WB needs to charge a little more to keep the LTs going - with the same quality standards as the Golden Collections - I certainly don't mind. I anticipate positive early reviews and then a drive to the local store to pick them up when they street.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just saw over on goldenagecartoons.com that the next 2 WB toon volumes appear to be "Foghorn Leghorn & Friends" and "Tweety & Sylvester."

Someone in that thread expressed a doubt there were enough Foghorn Leghorn to fill a disk. I believe those guys are working from the premise that *anything* post 1953 is not worth the celuloid it's printed on... I disagree and generally put the cutoff at roughly 1960 (although there *are* a few from '60-'63 that are still pretty good overall).

Here's the current unreleased list of Foghorn Leghorn toons I came up with:

Crowing Pains (1947)
Henhouse Henery (1949)
The Leghorn Blows at Midnight (1950)
A Fractured Leghorn (1950)
Leghorn Swoggled (1951)
Lovelorn Leghorn (1951)
Sock-a-Doodle-Do (1952)
The Egg-Cited Rooster (1952)
Plop Goes the Weasel (1953)
Of Rice and Hen (1953)
Little Boy Boo (1954)
Feather Dusted (1955)
All Fowled Up (1955)
Weasel Stop (1956)
The High and the Flighty (1956)
Fox Terror (1957)
Weasel While You Work (1958)
A Broken Leghorn (1959)
Crockett-Doodle-Do (1960)
The Dixie Fryer (1960)
Strangled Eggs (1961)
The Slick Chick (1962)
Mother Was a Rooster (1962)
Banty Raids (1963)

IMHO, there's more than enough. For a single disk just put the earliest unreleased 15. Even though the later ones are "lesser" quality I'd still be thrilled if they put them all on a 2 disk set! For Foghorn I may even have to eat my words on waiting for massive price drops and get it close to release date.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
It seems that ALL of the retail stores agree with you, NONE are stocking these new Bugs Bunny & Daffy Duck DVDs in the stores. They are "On-Line" only purchases.

This can not be good for sales.

I'm a Barnes and Noble member & they offered these DVDs to me at an on-line price of $10.55 each with FREE shipping (no minum required). The offer may vary from customer to customer.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Wal-mart seems to be the store primarily stocking these.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I live in Canada and the Walmart's here in my city of Winnipeg are stocking both sets but they are selling them for just under $18.00 ($17.49 or $17.89). I too hesitated on the purchase because of this price. I thought they would be at least under $15, maybe closer to $10 as each one is a single disc. I would like to have them, but now I am waiting and watching for a deal somewhere or a cheaper price.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
On the day of release, I went to two Best Buys, two Targets, and one Wal-Mart (all within a few miles – I love suburban New York!)… no luck at ANY! Finally found them both at FYE, but at list. Disgusting!

I’m not taking any chances, and will be pre-ordering the “Essential Bugs Bunny” from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks