What's new

Price of a "large" popcorn at your theater? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Goodness, what are you paying for tickets in your area?

Well, I don't live in a real big metropolitan area...but prices here (Albany, NY area) range from $9.50 to $12 (for digital 3-D). My daughter lives in Fairfax, Virginia and routinely pays $11 for a regular ticket.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Well, I don't live in a real big metropolitan area...but prices here (Albany, NY area) range from $9.50 to $12 (for digital 3-D). My daughter lives in Fairfax, Virginia and routinely pays $11 for a regular ticket.
I live in suburban Philadelphia and the non-matinee tickets are $10 or $13 for 3-D. Though there is a real dump of a theater in the area that charges $8 a ticket (though that's about $7 too much for that theater).

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I usually sneak a soda in under my jacket, my gf as well. Call me cheap, but our local theater has a habit of stopping the projector the moment the credits start to roll. We have made them aware that this is unacceptable, but they still do it. End result, they are taking a little bit from us, now we are taking a little bit from them.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^^ I certainly would complain. A lot of movies these days have small scenes or punchlines after or in the middle of the credits.

I can't see what purpose this would serve. It's not like they'd be able to get an extra screening in but ending a movie six minutes early.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
There used to be a theater in my hometown that would close the curtains on the screen during the end credits. I hated that back when I was 12 and I still do today.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't buy popcorn for myself because I don't like it. My wife, however, loves the stuff. If I get snack food for myself, it's nachos. Usually I just get a small soda to sip. I don't remember the exact price of what I paid for concession a few weeks ago when I took my wife to see New Moon, but it was somewhere in the $15 range for two small drinks, a small popcorn and nachos. As a side note, the nachos were much better than the movie.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Down here in H-Town a large corn is $6.25 and a large drink is $4.75 at the local Cinemark (the theater I'm most likely to attend on weekends). That's up from $5.75 & $4.50 before the last price hike earlier this year. But several weeks ago they started giving you the combo for $10.50, which was nice. Tickets are $7.00 matinee (we may go to an evening show once a year at most), although if I make a pre-noon show it's only $5.00.

The AMC I sometimes go to is always more expensive than the Cinemark. Usually 50 cents more for the ticket and 50-75 more for the large combo. Combine the higher prices with the stiff, non-reclining seats, and I only go there if they're playing something that's not playing at the Cinemark.

I worked at a GCC cinema in Shreveport in the mid-70s in high school and occasionally in college. We used to pre-pop our corn upstairs and bring it down in bags to serve. That seemed to be pretty common from the 70s through the early 90s. But when the big stadium-seating megaplexes took over in the mid to late 90s they all went to live-popping at the concession stand. At least that's the way it is in Houston. I haven't seen pre-popped corn in over a decade.

I have stopped getting "butter" on my corn. I'm convinced that stuff is evil. Occasionally I'll slip, and when I do it gives me a stomach ache - same kind I get whenever I eat food with too much grease.

I know this forum is full of theater-going horror stories, but I really like our local Cinemark 18-plex. The prices are reasonable (for this day & age). The seats recline and are comfy. The popcorn is usually pretty good - fresh and nicely seasoned. The projection quality is good, and the cleaners stay out of the theater until the credits have completely finished or the last person has left the house. Even the audiences are pretty good - you'll occasionally get a talker or and incessant texter but they're the exception and I can usually move a few seats and avoid the problem. I think it helps that we stick to the matinees. Around here that seems to be when the adults go. Weekend evenings belong to the teens.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
There's one theater chain in St Louis that gives free refills on large tubs of popcorn and allows you to bring your tub back on subsequent visits. I'm using the same tub I bought in May and have lost track of the number of times I've had it refilled. I also get it refilled on the way out and snack on it all week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think one of the theaters around me has free refills on large popcorn (I might buy food once or twice a year at the movies so I'm not sure about the ins and outs of the concession stand) but you definitely don't get to bring the tub back the next time.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
$8.50 for a large, with free refills.

Between the cost of a ticket, snacks and dealing with unwanted people, it's cheaper AND better to buy the Blu-ray disc, even if I only watch the movie once.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I checked, here in Munich, with a cinema which shows films in the originally (English) version. Currently the Euro is circa $1.50. The popcorn is in various sizes Small (2.50 EU), medium (3.50 EU) large (4.50EU) and XL (5.50). I am not sure how big "XL" is but the size small is the "right size" for one person.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Tickets are $10, IMAX is $15. I'm not even 30 and I can remember ticket prices being $4. No idea what popcorn or drinks cost. We always take our flask and a coke

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
ha.
At our local (and only theater)....
you can by a 10 pack of movie passes,with included small drink and popcorn, for $55. Way cool

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen

ha.
At our local (and only theater)....
you can by a 10 pack of movie passes,with included small drink and popcorn, for $55. Way cool

Gregg that is a good deal and one that I would jump on if they offered it at my local theater.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The prices at my theater are about the same listed here, except in Canadian dollars. Where the chains pulled the weasel on us though was in the package deals. You could get a large popcorn, large pop and some type of promo bar for $11, which was a little cheaper then buying it all separate. What they've done now though, is kept the packages, took the pricing down and instead advertise what you save. So the signs say "Save $.75", and you buy it and it's $3 more then what it used to be! Bastards!

I know I should of refused it... but I really like eating popcorn when I go to the movies. I'm not even hungry and I eat the shit. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks