What's new

Preventing Beginners Mistakes (1 Viewer)

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
I have a 26" LG LD350 tv, my signal comes over the airwaves amplified by a signal converter box and the only other peripheral is a bottom of the line Magnavox dvd player. I would like to add a Sony HT-CT150 Home Theater Soundbar to this set-up but I have limited audio/video know-how. I am however quick to learn once things are explained to me. Could anyone lend me a guiding hand as to how to set this "system" up? Would I need special cables, can my use of remotes be simplified (I have 3 now: tv, dvd player and converter box), etc. Your help would be most welcomed and appreciated. Thanks so much in advance, Paula

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Hi Mike, Thank you for your warm welcome and the great lengths you went thru to explain the Harmony to me. It sounds like a great idea but I have a question. I do not have internet access at home....can I program the remote away from home where I do have access? Thanks again, paula

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PW53

Yes, you can program it anywhere...as long as you can install the software from the CD and connect a USB cable. Just be sure to have all the makes and models of the HT gear with you!

The lone downside--now that I think about it--is that you won't be able to test it immediately to make sure the remote is all working as it should. There are the occasional tweaks one might want to make...but probably for the most part you'd be fine.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never used or hooked up a soundbar but it looks like the CT-150 is self-powered with a subwoofer, has three hdmi inputs and one output plus 3 digital audio inputs. It looks like you can easily connect the dvd player to the soundbar with an hdmi cable if the dvd player has an hdmi output. You could also connect the dvd player straight to the display with an hdmi cable and the use an optical cable from the display to the soundbar. If it doesn't then you would use a component cable from the dvd player to the display (the soundbar doesn't have component video connections. You have options as far as connections are concerned. I'm not sure what kind of converter box you're using, or why :) , since over the air audio signals are now digital, but the LG has an optical output which you could connect to the soundbar for audio. The make and model numbers of the converter box and dvd player would be helpfull. Many older dvd players didn't have hdmi connections.

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Hi Guys, Thanks so much for your help. The converter box is left over from the signal change in 2009 when I still had an analog tv. Yes, the LG has it's own digital tuner but where I live ALL signals are practically non-existent (mountain). Without box I get one station OTA, with box I get 10. I still think that box is a little miracle machine!!!!!! It is pretty primitive around here: no cable at all in the valley and no cell reception either. Eventhough my stations are not that great I would like to hang on to them if I could. I will get the model #'s and brand names of box and dvd player. I have researched Harmony remote (thanks Mike) and have found out that even that might pose a problem because it may not tune in the "sub" stations. Example: ch.8, 8-1 and 8-2 (CBS). Same for several others (Cox and NBC). My main concern is that I know how to hook up the Sony soundbar to the LG, converter box and dvd and if I need to also order exta cables. If I have to use an army of remotes....... oh wel, such is life. Thanks much for everyone's help so far. I'll get those #'s etc. tomorrow. Paula

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The easiest way is to leave converter box and dvd player hooked up the way they are and connect the tv's optical output to the surroundbars optical input. Should work fine that way.

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Thanks much. If I understand correctly all I would need extra is an optical cable? Are they pretty much all the same or doI need a specific one? Paula

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Perhaps due to "general stress" in society I sometimes have a tough time coping with the more negative attributes some people display towards others which frustrate and sometimes anger me. As a temporary result (thank goodness!) I fall victim to worry and anguish regarding the future of our world. And then I come across people such as all of you, who, without any benefit to themselves, help complete strangers with great advise and know-how. I thank all of you who have so generously given time and energy to steer me in the right direction with finding solutions to my querry and I will let you know how everything has worked out for me. Have a wonderful holiday season. Paula

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by PW53

Perhaps due to "general stress" in society I sometimes have a tough time coping with the more negative attributes some people display towards others which frustrate and sometimes anger me. As a temporary result (thank goodness!) I fall victim to worry and anguish regarding the future of our world. And then I come across people such as all of you, who, without any benefit to themselves, help complete strangers with great advise and know-how. I thank all of you who have so generously given time and energy to steer me in the right direction with finding solutions to my querry and I will let you know how everything has worked out for me. Have a wonderful holiday season. Paula

Thanks for your thoughts Paula. Its people like Mike, Gene, Casey and lots of other great members that help make HTF what it is. After you get everything hooked up don't forget to check out our DVD, Blu-ray and TV section to help you figure out what to watch on your system!

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Haven't bought/hooked up anything yet because life is very bust at the moment. I will report back when I do and "yes" I will check out other forums on this site as well. Best of Holiday Wishes for All, Paula

celsmore

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory Elsmore
Mike Frezon said:
You are very welcome.  :) Yes, you can program it anywhere...as long as you can install the software from the CD and connect a USB cable.  Just be sure to have all the makes and models of the HT gear with you!  The lone downside--now that I think about it--is that you won't be able to test it immediately to make sure the remote is all working as it should.  There are the occasional tweaks one might want to make...but probably for the most part you'd be fine.
One other thing I'd mention (as I just made this mistake myself), get one that has an LCD display. This is the one I have here. Walmart just had it on sale for under $50. I had started with the 300, but if the out of the box settings weren't EXACTLY what you needed, there was no way to customize it. I had to bring it back. The slightly more expensive ones are very customizable, and very useful. We seriously just use the one remote, the others are in a closet somewhere. My wife presses one button, and the remote handles it all for her. Just my $.02, good luck!

celsmore

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory Elsmore
Mike Frezon said:
Good luck with that and I hope you find the HTF a cool place to hang out.  By the way, we are VERY good here at helping people like yourself spend your money!  :D
As if I needed any help with that (just ask the wife!). Thanks for the welcome!

PW53

Auditioning
Real Name
Paula Watson
Hello All, I now have all the component information you asked me for so you may be willing to give me some advise as to how to set these up and in which order. I believe the best "cabeling" would be HDMI so I will use those as much as my equipment allows. SIGNAL: Outdoor antenna Converter Box: INSIGNIA NS-DXA1 Input: 1 RF Output: 1 Composite Video, 1 Analog Audio and 1 RF Blu Ray Player: LGBD630 Soundbar: Sony HT-CT150 TV: LG26DLD350 I hope I to hear from you when you have a moment and since today is Christmas I wish you a wonderful day with your family and friends. Thanks so much for your help, Paula

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks