What's new

Preparing to buy receiver - HK 320 (1 Viewer)

Ashok

Agent
After a few months of reading up on the subject and viewing the forums, I am preparing to make my first foray into the world of HT with an A/V receiver. It will be used mainly for HT and some Xbox usage :). I don't have any speakers yet (I will probably use some JBL HLS 610's for the time being), so I can base that purchase on what I get here. To start out, here is the list of features that I used to narrow down my search:
DPL2 (full version) - I listen to a lot of stereo sources, so this is a biggie.
Component Video Switching - I don't have an HDTV yet, but I do use component video, and I want this to give me good quality when I do take the HDTV plunge
Pre-Outs for all channels - I would like this receiver to last a while, so this option for upgradeability later is important.
Currently my list of receivers is as follows:
H/K 320
Denon 2802
Yamaha RX-V1200
Marantz 7200
The Yamaha is $100 more expensive than the H/K or Denon, so I probably won't get it unless there is something that it offers that totally blows away the rest. The problems with the Marantz are a big turn-off to me, so I am probably going to discard that option. There is no Onkyo in my price range that has the features I want (696 does not have full DPL2 and is a tad pricey, 797 is obviously too expensive).
So, right now I am leaning toward the H/K because of the great things I have heard about the sound, the 35Mhz component video bandwidth (vs. 27 Mhz for the Denon), better interface, and lower price. The addition of DD-EX and extra amplified channel in the Denon is not too big of a deal, as I probably won't get into 6.1 audio soon. The Yamaha looks great, but the price and fixed 90 hz crossover frequency are turn-offs to me. I don't want to wait until March for the new Yamahas, since they don't really offer that much over my current choices.
Unfortunately, there is nowhere around here to listen to the H/K. I will most likely to be able to listen to the Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz. Does anyone here have any thoughts on how the sound of the receivers stacks up? Oh, also, does the H/K have a center channel EQ? I have heard that it is quite important, although I am still not sure of its function exactly.
Thanks in advance...

Scott Pagac

Stunt Coordinator
Ashok:
I have just received the AVR-520 a week ago. I have been tweaking it since hooking it all together, so a full review is not yet ready.
I did not directly compare the sound of this unit to others, but it is light years beyond what came out of my JVC 884 receiver it is replaceing.
The H/Ks do not have full DPLII (as far as I have yet to find). It is basically turn it on and let it do its thing. However, I have been more in love with the Logic 7 modes myself. I plan on watching a couple of movies this weekend and trying out different sound modes to see what I really do prefer for which source.
The only real downside to this receiver is the lack of DD-EX. It is not a big deal, but I was hoping to finally be able to experience certain movies the way they were meant to be. I guess I will just have to save up for a pre-pro later down the road. :)
--Scott

Ashok

Agent
Thanks Scott, I didn't realize it was missing the full DPL2. So now it's the low-end Onkyos and the H/K's missing those options. Does anyone know if the Denons, Yamahas, and Marantz' have full DPL2?
EDIT: Found a thread with the information I was looking for. Anyone who also wants to know, here it is.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=29639

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Ashok:

The H-K (both the 320 and the 520) most definitely have ProLogic-II, and it is excellent!

I have the 520 and have tested the 320. We have more testing to do (there's a $400. difference in Canada, and both are more expensive than the V1200 here).

If there is any way that you can listen to the H-K or buy one that is returnable, or at least exchangeable, do yourself a favour.

The video switching (by the way, the V1200 has 60 MHz switching) is flawless. There is no centre EQ, and ... on the Yamaha V800, the clearest sound was with the CEQ set to zero on all frequencies. The 90 Hz crossover is not a big deal (wouldn't stop me from buying the V1200). Most subwoofers have enough control to let you get the sound you want. From what I can tell, the SW out sends enough information that you can still control, via the sub's settings, the type of sound combo. Maybe you won't be able to send anything below 90 Hz to your main speakers. I really don't know. If you like the Yamaha, I wouldn't worry too much about that detail.

What I especially notice in the 520 (using Athena Audition Series F2 and the only matching centre they make) is that, even compared to the 320 (and especially compared to the Yamaha), sound is really punched out. For example, in Hell Freezes Over, when the tom-toms are hit, the sound is delivered, then stopped. Full, rich, punchy sound. I think it has to do with the current thing that H-K does. Dunno, but I have found nothing I dislike about the 520 (except for the outrageous price in Canada). In the US, the prices are within $100. Here, they are $400. apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks