What's new

Predictions anyone? (1 Viewer)

Bryan'G

Auditioning
I currently have an older 27" TV that is starting to go on the fritz (occassional flashes/mainly red specifically during scene changes). We were hoping to be able to wait a bit to replace it.

My real question - Where does everyone think technology/prices will be in 9 months to a year? Any predictions on what options (non front projection) may be available for around $1k?

This is probably a bit vague, but I thought it might be interesting to look to the future a bit to see what the market might have available at a reasonable price and also to let me dream about a replacement set a little bit. :)

Bob~M

Auditioning
I honestly think that CRT rear projectors are about as cheap as they're going to get. There aren't any revolutionary cost-saving technologies in the pipeline, and economies of scale have already kicked in. Maybe a little lower, but not much.

DLP and LCD rear projectors will likely drop maybe 20-25% in the next year or so, but not down to the sub-$2000 level. Plasma will drop; the $8000 plasma sets may cost $5500-6000 in a year.

Any newer technologies, such as LCOS, will proliferate first in higher-end sets.

So the bottom line, I think, is that if you don't have much more than $1000 to spend, this is an excellent time to jump in and get a widescreen HD CRT rear projector. You have little to gain by waiting. If your heart is set on DLP or LCD, a year may save you $1000 bucks or less. But then again, you would lose a year of enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks