What's new

Preacher: Season One (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Really good episode and the opening sequence was alot of fun. They also lightened Tulip up a little bit too which was nice.

I find it funny that they put up subtitles for Eugene, but not Cassidy. I have no problem understanding Eugene, but often have no clue what Cassidy is saying unless I turn on captions.
I'm pretty good with accents but his Irish one can be tough at times. The subtitles for Arseface come from the comic book where his dialogue/word balloons would be nearly incomprehensible due to his injury and drooling so they'd put subtitles in a box at the bottom of the panel. Like I've said though, the comic book Arseface was much more of a joke than the 'real' character he is in the show.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is AMC airing these twice? My dvr is picking up bonus editions but I don't know what's different.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I googled. Title description says bonus edition.
Eps 1 and 2, 3 and 4 aired together as one episode also ep 5 had a bonus edition.

Wasn't any difference in the show the bonus was a few behind the scenes clips during commercial breaks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Really good episode and the opening sequence was alot of fun.

It was fun, but it seemed unnecessary. As Jesse said at one point, he could use his power to end it, but did not.Was there a reason other than one of the angels saying that he shouldn't?

I think I'll slog through the rest of this season, but I'm not sure I'll watch season two.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
It was fun, but it seemed unnecessary. As Jesse said at one point, he could use his power to end it, but did not.Was there a reason other than one of the angels saying that he shouldn't?

I think I'll slog through the rest of this season, but I'm not sure I'll watch season two.

Depends, is the Seraphim merely there to reign in the Adelphi Fiore and DeBlanc, or the retrieve Genesis.

It's possible that Seraphim is not sure where Genesis is ATM.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I'm finally all caught up and I'm all in for the full ride. Campy, fun, violent, good drama, well written.

I dig it.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Season finale next week. They are going to have to wrap up a bunch of stuff or leave us with some serious cliffhangers!

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I did like the reveal! I sort of guessed it because he kept repeating the same actions over and over.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The girl killing the mayor. I guess she wanted him out of the way when Tulip said she could have Jesse. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but it seems like this season has been setting up the pieces so they can start actually adapting the comic books next year.
It looks like I was right because the last scene with Jesse, Cassidy and Tulip in the diner is in the first issue (maybe even the first pages) of the comic. To be fair to the TV show, the comic book hits the ground running and basically fills in the blanks as it goes along and the show more or less told everything linearly but I'm hoping next season is truer to its source.

Most importantly, I hope that they make Tulip more likable next season. They've taken an awesome character that kicked ass and made her a horrendous, angry, psychotically violent pain in the ass.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
As someone who didn't read the comics, I liked this wacky show. I just rolled along with it, sitting open mouthed at the absurdity that I was watching. To complain that a scene was goofy or derivative in the whole of this wacky show seems silly - lol. Of course my interpretation might be much different if I read the comics. I'm glad I didn't

The sign in front of the church was one of my favorite parts of the episode;

Today - Meet God
Tomorrow - TBD

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As someone who didn't read the comics, I liked this wacky show. I just rolled along with it, sitting open mouthed at the absurdity that I was watching. To complain that a scene was goofy or derivative in the whole of this wacky show seems silly - lol.
The tone is pretty close to the comics. There's plenty of times when things are deadly serious in the comic book but there's also times when things are ridiculous and intentionally funny. An example of when the TV show really got it right is when the Quincannon guys were marching on the church being led by a guy dressed as a Confederate soldier as Jesse shot at them. That was an invention of the show and it seemed like it could have come straight out of the comic book.

Overall, there's been stuff that's fun and it was cool to see all of the Preacher characters come to life (Tulip not withstanding) but my biggest gripe is that it seems like they just took an entire season to get to the story of the series. That'd be like if The Walking Dead waited until its first season finale to have zombies show up.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well that finale sucked, ..., I'm out won't be returning next season

I'm with this. A bizarrely strange series. I watched all the episodes and did my my best to understand the story but I just don't find the characters compelling enough to return for the "Start" of the story. All in all, the finale was a letdown. I was not intrigued enough to want to come back when this show returns.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The season finale felt a little bit weaker in some ways, but I liked the show well enough to come back for season two.

Watching Talking Preacher afterwards helped me to understand some aspects of the show and some of the underdeveloped plot elements (such as the suicide by the mascots). Unfortunately, if you have to watch another show to understand the series then the series probably lacks some coherence. (I haven't read the original source material, so perhaps that is part of the problem, for me.)

Still, I loved the unpredictable nature of the show, and I thought the show did a great job of visually presenting its story. There are some beautiful shots throughout the season. I guess I am in the minority, because I loved Tulip (and Ruth Negga) this year. I thought her character had the best introduction of any character in season one (the car battle through the corn field, followed by her enlisting the assistance of the two kids.)

Knowing now how the comic starts, I can understand the criticism of using the entire season to 'setup' the series, but given the nature of the show and the craziness of the events and the universe of Preacher, it seems like it would need that kind of time and attention to detail. (And even after ten episodes, there were aspects of the show that were being explained in the Talking Preacher episode that followed the season one finale.)

A road trip format for season two should open up the series quite a bit. Looking forward to season two.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks