What's new

Pre/Pro's with DTS-ES (1 Viewer)

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a list of preamp processors that can do DTS-ES discrete. DPLII and DD-EX are optional. The only one I am aware of is the Outlaw 950. Are there any others out there?
------------------
Link Removed

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
With all due respect.......why spend all that $$$ on a Pre-Pro for a Surround Sound format with such limited software? If you are seriously looking for a 7.1 setup then go with a Lexicon unit for Logic 7 usage. Used DC-2's can be had for 1500.00!!
Logic 7 and THX Ultra 2 are the only 7.1 fields that make any sense to me because they can take ANY 5.1 source and do their business and do not require specially encoded DVD/LD's.
My personal opinion is that people are WAY to quick to jump on the upgrade bandwagon when it comes to new surround fields. When I bought my Denon receiver(Mar.1999), DVD players were just coming of age. The salesperson was steering me towards a DTS equipped unit but I told him WHY??? There are NO DVD's encoded in DTS...now this was almost 3 years ago and how many DTS DVD's are there now??? Not enough for me to search out a DTS pre/pro. I think anything related to DTS is not worth investing in for they are WAY tooooooo slow in releasing software!!
Anyway...this is just one person's venting but I do feel I have a good point.
Mike

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, what you say is true with respect to the limited amount of ES-EX titles out there today, however I would like to future-proof my system as much as possible and when I built my HT, I installed a rear-center channel and since its there already I'd like to actually use it.
I don't care for formats such as Logic7 or Neo6 as I would never try to convert a 5.1 track to 6.1. The only time the rear center would be used in my system is when the soundtrack is actually made for 6.1, as limited in number as that software is.
I am actually looking now at getting a 6.1 receiver, use an external power amp to power the front section, and use the receiver amps to power the rear section. Would there be any detrimental effects from using this type of setup?
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Vince Chan on November 11, 2001 at 02:12 PM]

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
I would say if you are convinced that DTS-ES and D/D-EX is what you want then I'd buy a Denon AVR4802 and use it only as a pre-amp or find a used denon avr5800 to do the same.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks