What's new

Pre Pro or Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Have a compatability problem with my current system and am thinking about selling my B&K Reference 20.

I am looking for something to use as a pre pro that gets the audio right for cd listening and does equally well with dd sources. I have a Bryston amp for my front speakers and a 5 channel amp for the surrounds. Not looking for the latest and greatest concerning new formats. I'll wait a while for that.

Preference would be a good used prepro that handles dd and dts without switching problems. Price range is $500 or less since this is just a stop gap purchase. Have a chance to get either the Denon 3802 ($429) or 2802 ($299) but want to be sure that the cd sound will be there. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Recently added a Dish hd receiver and now when I switch from an analogue program to one with dd I get no sound. Have to change source from sat to something else and back. When I change back to sat I have sound. Talked to B&k and they said there was no fix and that it was an algorythm problem. Not to thrilled with there support.
Steve

Scott_N

Second Unit
Ok. Well those Denon's are nice but i'd think they would be a stepdown as far as two channel sound goes compared to the B&K. I've always thought Arcam, NAD and Rotel receivers were good with two-channel music and my old Marantz SR-18 was pretty good too. If you are picky about your two-channel sound you might think about incorporating a two-channel preamp into your system and then just keep buying lower priced receivers that have the features you want as formats change instead of pre/pro's.

4VTHOKIES

Agent
Real Name
Ted Pugh
B&K support is usually top notch. The 20 is a very old and outdated piece and it might just mean there are no upgrades still available. I would wait and upgrade when the new 1.3's come out or look to upgrade to a nice HDMI 1.1 pre/pro that has external inputs for the new audio codecs and you should be fine. You can find a nice Reference 50 for 1k or so which would be a signaficant upgrade over the Ref. 20 you currently have.

mcintosh

Grip
Real Name
GREGORY

It seems an AV receiver is your best bet, combining features and performance in one nice package. I know you say that your not looking for the best, but in this place of firmware updates and HDMI, my suggestion is that you get what you need now. If not, you will only be looking again to upgrade in a couple of years. In my humble opinion.
The new Yamaha RX - V861:) receiver, has a great many features and connections, for what I think is a decent price. It has two HDMI inputs, 1 single HDMI monitor out, 3 optical and 2 coaxial digital audio inputs. Just to name a few. The RX - V861 is a true 7.1 channel design, and will even allow bi - amping.
Also, there is the new Integra receiver, which has a host of options as well. I would definitely look at these two receivers. Both are under $1,000.00. And if you have to save a few more dollars, you may be better off.

Steve^S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all the input. Decided to go with a Denon 2802 that I found for under $200. Will use it for ht and may keep the ref 20 for 2 channel stereo. Once I get the Denon we can compare the sound using denon preouts to my amps and see whether it is necessary to keep the ref 20.
This will be just a stopgap till this format war has settled.
Thanks again,
Steve

servant386

Grip
Real Name
steve
You can find a nice Reference 50 for 1k or so which would be a signaficant upgrade over the Ref. 20 you currently have.[/quote]

I dont know anything about receivers. Do you need another device to go along with this aforementioned REF. 50 to do home theater as well as music .

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

The Reference 50 is a home theater (7.1) pre-pro. You'll need to add power amplifiers of some sort before you can connect your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks