What's new

Pre-Built HTPC??? Are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
I have been interested in getting a HTPC. Are there any companies out there that sell HTPCs that are setup and ready to go? Also, of the people out there that have them are they pretty dependable? I am on the computer eight hours a day, and two or three times a day I want to pick it up and throw it. Let me know what you think.
Shawn

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
system unreliability tends to have other sources of problems, for your's I'd wager that you need to format your hardrive and reinstall everything from scratch. Typically random problems are the result of a overstretched registry.

for pre-built you can look into DELL's multimedia PC's, they are supposed to be pretty cool for HTPC use. although, I would reccomend building your own considering that you'll get a better deal and far better parts as you can get components like a HDTV tuner and a video card with quite good TV output that typically won't come with a pre-built.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I'd be weary of UnitedMicro.
Raymond may have had good luck with them, but their reseller ratings are horrible....Unitedmicro

Mwave is starting to do barebones and custom systems.

George B

Auditioning
Try Cellar Cinemas, here's a link to the HTCP
http://www.cellarcinemas.com/cgi-bin...ml?id=h7HUjFKb

I think this is something can do just about anything (maybe adding a few options here & there).

They also have another product MOVI, which is a HTPC that is set up just to play DVDs. I think the premise is to read the DVD, and rescale it for your particular projector while keeping all of the information in the digital domain.

The base price for each is $2000 (ouch!).

Over at the AVS Forum, they have a HTPC that they will put together, here is a link to the thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=132600

The AVS HTPC base price is $1000. You have to call them and they will customize the unit to your requirements.

Supposedly each will setup and test the unit before shipping it to you.

I've been looking at both but haven't made a choice yet.
George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks