Powered Subwoofer for $100-150?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ken Burkstrum, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to help my friend get a system setup. We've picked a reciever and speakers out already and he's willing to pay $100-150 for a powered subwoofer. From what I remember, people would usually suggest that Dayton 10 inch sub for a $100 subwoofer but I don't know if that's still the best choice or if it's still around so can someone help me out?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Dayton should still be a safe bet at the price. At $199, you can get the Onyx X-sub also, though it is only a 8" sub, it was well reviewed at Audioholics.

3. Ken Burkstrum

I'm having trouble finding a place we can order the Dayton from can somebody hit me with a link?

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

5. Ken Burkstrum

thank you Seth!

6. HT-EXT

HT-EXT Agent

MCM has some descent powered subs on sale from time to time. The one my friends have recently purchased was a 10"/100w (part #50-7660). It is a down firing sub with a front firing port which makes it good for corner loading. If you use source code #611117 you can get it for about $80(add $20 for shipping) but that code is only good till 1/5/07. I have tested the sub and was please with the results but construction could be a little better. I don't think there is a better powered 10" sub on market for $100 IMHO.

HT-EXT

7. zmurphy

zmurphy Extra

I must add a vote for the Dayton 12". I sold one to a customer of mine and it sounds great!

8. Conchchowder

Conchchowder Auditioning

Look for a Cambridge PSW. You can pick 'em up for a good price on Craigslist.