Powered Speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeShea, Apr 1, 2003.

1. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

I noticed a trend a couple of years ago for self-powered speakers or speakers with built-in powered subwoofers.

I like the idea of a self contained speaker that can go from 20hz to 20khz in a single box but I understand the issues with a built-in sub and non-ideal positioning.

Is the concept of powered "active" speakers still around? Are there any new hot contendors for a full-range speaker that doesn't need monoamps to properly run?

Or have people given up and gone back to the simple receiver -> passive speaker -> boxed powered sub approach?

Thanks for the input!

Mike
    http://liquidtheater.com/

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Active speakers are still around but mostly in the pro audio. They just never caught on with consumers. I've heard others have used active studio monitors in their hometheaters with fantastic results.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I think he's talking about speakers with active bass sections and not the pro audio "fully" active speakers. The difference, of course, being that "active speakers" means all the drivers are powered by an internal amp.

Many, many companies offer speakers with active bass sections. Infinity, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics, Polk, Paradigm...the list goes on and on.

4. MikeShea

MikeShea Agent

I was actually interested in both, but it would make sense that the built-in powered sub is more common.

Two more questions:

1. How are the results on a speaker with a built in sub compared to a normal speaker with a single external sub. Is there a noticable difference?

2. How would one run truly active studio monitors in a home theater? What kind of decoder to they need? Just a preamp / processor?

Thanks for the info!

Mike
    http://liquidtheater.com/

5. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

All you need is a preamp or a receiver with preamp outs. Balanced outputs are prefered but RCAs will work very well too.

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

If you desire to look into good active pro audio equipment
    look at the best names in the industry...

Mackie

Halfer

M&K

Those are the 3 i'd look at first if you want to look at
    fully active monitors. Behringer also has delved into this
    arena with the new Truth Series Pro Monitors and there are
    a handfull of other companies. Take a look at www.musiciansfriend.com
    they cary everything pro and they handle Mackie, Hafer, Behringer,
    Genelec etc..