What's new

Powerbook G4 DVD Playback Quality (or lack therof) (1 Viewer)

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the old search, but it wasn't working. Too many Wonkaheads voicing their justified outrage (I am one), I guess.
Anybody have a new titanium Powerbook? Ever notice how the image when playing back a DVD is wicked bad, with so much combing it'll straighten your hair?
Has anybody stumbled across a solution. I surely would like to watch a movie on an airplane without it looking like it was filmed from behind blinds.
Lanny

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Have you updated your Apple DVD player? I have never had a problem with any Apple DVD playback on anymachine I have used, although I don't own a PB G4. But being that I have got you here I have a question. Do you have any other problems with your G4? Like the twisting issue? or the keyboard touching the screen issue? etc? Also do you have the 400 or 500? How is it with OS X? I am currently trying to decide if I want one of the following:
Apple PowerBook G4 400Mhz
Apple iBook 500Mhz G3
Apple PowerMac G4 733Mhz
I really want a portable, but I must admit that this machine would be used mostly at the house, so thats why the crazy PM 733 is thrown in there. I guess I will really have to wait and see if Apple does anything with the PB G4 in September like the rumors state and that will be my deciding factor. Did you look at the new iBooks? I was wondering how OS X performed on them as that is the primary reason I will be getting a new Mac, OS X!!!! Gotta love it!

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
Kelley,
Man, did you have a load of caffeine today, or are you always so peppy?
biggrin.gif

I've got the most recent DVD player software, the computer is a G4 400 with 384MB RAM. I'm sure it's not hardware related. My understanding is that Apple uses software instead of hardware for video playback. I suspect that is the source of my ills.
As for your other questions: No twisting, but I'm very careful. The keyboard is touching the screen, but it isn't a huge deal for me. You can always buy one of those swanky leather pads. The DVD ROM drive is misaligned with the case and does rub some. One key popped off the keyboard. It's going back to Apple for those two reasons.
I have not tried OS X, as I got it well before Apple started bundling that system with their computers. I am looking forward to using OS X when it grows up a little, but I'm not to cool with its current limitations.
Given the choice you outline, I would still choose the PB G4 over the other computers because 1. portability rocks, 2. the monitor is unreal, 3. it's fast enough, 4. it's so damn cool I can't stand it!
Good luck.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I typed that at work and we have free Dr. Pepper here at my job, and believe me I take advantage of it :) I am currently enjoying some now! Ok I thought for sure that Apple's DVD Player used the iDCT function in ATi's and nVidia's graphics processors.
But if I was you I would be sending that PB in, I used to work at an Apple Authorized store and we always sent PB's back to Apple and got them back in about 2 weeks. We had one guy who brought in a Pismo and the screen didn't work, nor did it turn on....it looked like it had been dropped in water! Well we sent it off, and lo and behold Apple called the guy and said that he lost all his data, but that his new PB was in route to him!
Ok now about me. I wish I could afford a PB G4, but I just don't think I will be able too by Xmas, which is when I plan to get it :) for Xmas from my Girlfriend(plan to make her my fiance on Xmas
wink.gif
) I am more and more thinking about the 733Mhz G4 desktop, but I don't know....I guess I will have to wait until November to see how much $$ we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks