Power options

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by snake, Aug 13, 2012.

1. snake

snake Agent

Fellas,
    Since I started building up a small system, I've become aware of the need for more power protection for my stuff. I've listened to videos and read product reviews and sales pitches. That has gotten me little progress. I'm thinking I'd like a UPS type setup since I have a projection HDTV(to keep the cooling fan running when power goes out), PS3, and reciever (onkyo 809). The ones I've seen are WOW expensive. Whats to keep me from buying a good protector and conditioner and hooking it up to an office UPS for battery back up. Any and all info is appreciated!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Most UPS I know of are around $200 if you want enough juice to actually let the cooling fan run.
    If $200 is too much to spend...
    There is a 1500VA version of this as well...
    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-HT1000UPS-1000VA-USWith/dp/B000F4V3TI/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344913592&sr=1-6&keywords=ht+ups

3. snake

snake Agent

What about the line conditioning that is supposedly 'needed' by home audio equipment. What your thinkin schan is what I had in mind also, but I was just wondering if all the other stuff is really required.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    UPS=line conditioner+surge+battery back up
    Line conditioning and voltage regulation are the same thing. Every UPS you buy also does voltage regulation as a side benefit.

5. snake

snake Agent

Gotcha. I just wonder what all the hype is for those 700-800 dollar systems that supposedly do the job so much better. Can you hook a sub to the UPS as well? I heard there is something different about them as well. Not sure what. Thanks for the info!!!

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    In a perfect world, your power outlet would give you 120v at a 60hz sine wave. Every location has issues though and some worse than others.
    A conditioner will remove any extraneous noise from the line so that only the 60hz sine wave gets through. They also keep voltage spikes from getting through. Some have large banks of capacitors that will be able to keep the voltage at 120 for a split second. Anything longer and you need to use a UPS.
    UPSs are a little confusing. Yes, they keep your equipment running but do they impact the sound? As I mentioned earlier, your power should be a pure sine wave.
    [​IMG]
    But most UPSs generate a stepped sine wave.
    [​IMG]
    Will that impact your audio or video quality? I don't know. To be sure, those really expensive A/V UPSs output a pure sine wave so there's no question if it is making a difference.
    I don't have a UPS on my projector and the bulb has survived numerous brown outs and power outages without any issue. I have a computer UPS on each of my DVRs so that I don't miss any programs. I don't care what the sine wave output of the UPS is because my DVR is really a computer. Switching from the wall, to a surge protector to a UPS didn't change the video quality. And I paid $20 each for the Energizer UPSs are a Circuit City going out of business sale. I have had to replace the batteries once though.

7. snake

snake Agent

I'm going to go with a computer UPS.
    http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/adaptive-sinewave-series/CP1500PFCLCD.html
    This one claims to be a pure sinewave, and for $200 at walmart, I think thats hard to beat. It doesn't shield separate banks from eachother but who cares. As long as the stuff has time to cool down and keep the reliability up with clean juice, then cool by me. Thanks guys for the info!!