What's new

Power cord and surge protector advice? (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering something about plugging in all this equipment.
What I am going to need to plug in are the following:

TV, DVD player, VCR, Receiver, and Subwoofer.

At the present time I have a TV, DVD player, and VCR all in
a surge protector at the outlet. This protector just has three openings. The receiver could go in there, and the DVD player could then go into the receiver. I'd then put the subwoofer in another outlet.

Is there anything wrong with doing this? Is there a better suggestion? Should I be wary of having too many devices in one outlet?

Thanks,

Neil

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
That plug-in sytem wud work. But it's time to think about getting a more useful surge protector that also acts as a power center. Have you seen my Under-$100 Surge Protector list? Pick one of the smaller ones like a Panamax Powermax series that comes with 6-8 outlets. Link to the list from Basics Area to Beginners Primer & FAQs and scroll to Line Conditioners/Surge Protectors.

More importantly, if you have cabletv and dont run that coax thru a surge protector, your other gear can fry just as easily as if it were not "protected." I'm saying external surges, esp. from nearby lightning fields, can ride in on cable and antenna coax and telephone lines, too.

So look for a new surge protector that has at least one set of F-terminal in/out to any cabletv coax.

bill

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the pointer. That Panamax Powermax8 COAX looks like that should be all I would need. Are the online discount places considerably cheaper than the list of dealers that Panamax gives on its site?

How does the cabletv hookup usually work? Does it come with a short cord which connects to the cable outlet or would I need to buy another cord for that? Is that the "Coax jumper cable" that is mentioned on the Panamax website?

Thanks,

Neil

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Neil,

The Panamax Powermax8 COAX will work for you, and if it comes with that "jumper cable" (F-terminal connectors on both ends) you're ahead of the game. Get the best online price. I'll bet it's in the $30 range.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
After shipping it was about $36, which seems reasonable, so it is ordered. Thanks for the advice.

Neil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Link Removed
They carry both Monster and Panamax.
I agree with Bill Kane completely. I am also not a big fan of the "plug strip" type surge suppressors. If you are spending many hundreds to thousands of dollars, you should be using something more than a basic surge supressor. I am using a Panamax 4300.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Panamax Powermax8 COAX from Link Removed
Subtotal : $ 28.99
Shipping/Handling : $ 6.88
TOTAL : $ 35.87
Neil

I got one much like the one Manny got, only I got mine at Best Buy for $50. It has 1480 joules, but the rest looks like the one he got. I know I could have gotten it cheaper on the net somewhere, but I needed it today.

Bill Kane...thanks again for all of your advice on this!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Kudos to Richard for his grammar! :emoji_thumbsup: I though i was the only person who spoke english who cringed at that mistake. :frowning: Hehe, I guess nobody teaches grammar anymore, at least not at my school.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks again. The Panamax Powermax8 COAX arrived via UPS yesterday.

Neil

Chris, I'm reminded of a scene from a sitcom that shall remain nameless.

Star of the show: Where are you from?

Guest: Well, where we're from, we don't end sentences with prepositions.

Star: So, where are you from....bitch?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
lol. :emoji_thumbsup: That happened in a baseball game in real-life also, quite funny. The manager from some team, I forget which, but he came out to argue a call and yells
"WHAT the hell were you looking at?"
the ump actually replied "You can't end a sentence with a preposition!"
to which the manager replies "What the hell were you looking at asshole!?"
Needless to say the ump threw him out but it sure gave me a good laugh. :)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
In general, between Panamax and Monster, is one clearly better than the other? I've been thinking of getting the Panamax Max5100. Good choice?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
in this game of audio/video we're in, there's no such thing as "the best brand" IMO. Oh, your question...yeah, Panamax Max5100 is great for it's extra features. In fact, I am waiting to see a new model to come out any time now, called the 5110.

What do you want a big box like this for, if I may ask? I wont ding you..

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I don't necessarily want the big box, I want the features inside it. If there were a way to get the features less conspicuously, I'm all ears.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Hey, I just say "big black box" not in a disparaging way, but to refer to the $300-$700 units compared to the smaller, plastic-case units that usually sit on the floor behind the tv. Like most people use, I suspect.

Panamax has good design for surge/spike suppression, plus brownout/sag and overvoltage shutoff; but it's not the best lightning field blocker compared to a Brickwall.com or Adcom ACE 615.

The features are many, what's your take: delayed power-0n...HiCurrent plug with voltge capacitor to back up analong amp...12VDC trigger...Power Conditioning noise filter.

Put these is some rank, and maybe there are two pieces of gear that do the jobs for less.

What's your risk for electrical storms and exposed power lines outside? What problems are yuou trying to fix? No need for a big box if it costs nearly as much as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks