What's new

Power Back UPS.... (1 Viewer)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I was curious if anyone was using a battery powered UPS with their PVR/Sat.receiver?

I just ordered a DVR from Dish, and plan to use a small (350 V/A)UPS. I understand there is a remote possiblity that programming data could be lost if power is removed while the HD Is writing to the disk.

Technically, there is no reason a satellite system can not be kept fully alive during a power failure as long as the PVR/receiver is still powered up. Considering no pc fans or monitor hooked up, the UPS should be keep it alive a reasonable time. Of course you can't watch, the TV would suck the UPS down in no time!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a cheap Energizer 250 V/A UPS I picked up at Circuit City for $10 (after rebate). We have a lot of blips that would cause the DirecTivo to re-boot. It's worked great for those. I haven't tested it to see how long it will stay running though.

-Robert

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a UPS hooked up to my Replay's, works like a charm. Since PVR's are mostly if not all computer parts it isn't an issue. I hooked them up to a UPS for those rare occasions when the power would go off for a second, and I would end up losing allot more than a second worth of the show recording. I also haven't put the run time to a test.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I just bought an APC 350v UPS for my SA TiVO. I did NOT get it to "keep it running (during a prolonged outage)". My concern was that computer/hard drive devices are much moire susceptible to failure due to surges/fluctuations......typical surge protectors may not really help these types of devices...

I live in northern MA near the NH border. Last week there was a surge out of a power station in downtown Boston (a good 45 minute drive at the speed limit). We "felt" the momentary effect of that blip....I had a momentary Green screen of death (about 1-2 seconds). After almost three years, I decided it was time to spend $40 and get the UPS to protect against complete hard rive failure, which in my mind is much more worrisome than losting some settings or a recording. Bonus is that I can route the phone line through it which will protect the TiVO's modem.

Bottom line, $40 is nothing to protect a TiVO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks