What's new

Potential WB "Two Disc Special Editions" (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Fandango (with deleted scenes)

The Maltese Falcon (with all versions prior to the Bogart version, including the Mexican version that was shot at the same time as Bogey's)

The Complete Woodstock 1969*

* or at least every little bit of film & audio that exists

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I second the vote for "The Right Stuff" and add "Ben Hur", "L.A. Confidential", "The Fugitive" and "Contact".
Personally, I think they should redo ALL their titles so I can get rid of all those cheap, obtrusive, god-damned SNAPPER CASES!!:angry:

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Warner Brothers produced the film and distributed it for a number of years.

However, in 1994, distribution was handled by 20th Century Fox Pictures. Fox even produced an awesome laserdisc box set containing: 24-caret gold CD soundtrack, "Cecil Beaton's My Fair Lady" book, Portfolio of the costume designs, and the "More Loverly Than Ever" documentary.

Fox even distributed the VHS tape when Warner Home Video was distributing the DVD.

The main holder of the rights to this film are CBS Video. Remember the VHS and LDs from far back used to say: CBS/FOX Home Video?

Well, CBS has become a part of the Paramount family. So now its distributed by Paramount.

Although newer releases of the My Fair Lady DVD don't say this. Instead, the new releases are pretty much the same as the Warner Home Video DVDs minus the WB Premiere Edition banner on the front and Warner logos on the back. The new VHS tapes of My Fair Lady now have the Paramount logos on them.

Trevor H

Second Unit
I think Frantic should get the deluxe treatment, but hell I would be happy if they would at least put out an anamorphic widescreen version, it is a crime that one of Harrison Fords best movies is only available in Pan & Scan.

Pat Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with many of the titles listed so far. A couple great films from 1976 not mentioned, but beg to be revisited:

Network
All The President's Men

Both relate to topics that could be explored in great detail in the supplements, and both are in sore need of remastering.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Some people are mentioning "The Fugitive." Wasn't that just redone fairly recently? I don't see them revisiting this title soon, if ever, on DVD.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Now there's one I'd love to see get a good treatment on DVD. (Restoration, anamorphic, etc...)
I don't think Meet Me in St. Louis has even been released on DVD yet. Which is a terrible pity. I'd love to see a cleaned-up transfer.
The Wizard of Oz needs no explanation.
Nor does Gone with the Wind.
I'm not sure how much supplemental material they could provide for these, but I'd eat them up.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Far From The Madding Crowd would be so difficult to "get right" on DVD. Unfortunately, it was not shot in 65mm, but was blown up to 70mm from 2.35:1 35mm Panavision. But it was so well shot, it often looks as good as 65mm Super Panavision. That's the wonder of Nick Roeg - the man is a hero of Cinema! :emoji_thumbsup:
Ice Station Zebra - ah, Howard Hughes' favourite film! This one was shot in 65mm Super Panavision. I'd like to see it on DVD too.
Great stuff, Bruce! :)
Gordy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Why would The Wizard of Oz need an SE?

The current disc has more than enough supplements. The only things missing are perhaps a commentary, the LD's music/effects track, and the mono mix.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'd like to second RayG's suggestion for Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons - there is an endless scope for special features.

For starters, there's more than enough audio interviews with Welles to piece together a commentary (a fairly scene-specific one too), and putting the whole of Bernard Herrmann's original score on there would be quite enough for me.

In the meantime, I'll make do with the very mediocre French SE and Robert Carringer's outstanding text reconstruction of the film.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Someone mentioned Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves a while back in this thread. I seem to remember thedigitalbits.com mentioning that Warner was working on a reissue in the rumor mill way back at the end of 2001. I wonder what happened?

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for The Right Stuff and Chariots of Fire ...but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dog Day Afternoon ! That's definitely worthy of a two-disc SE treatment, or at the very least a remaster.

DeVario

Agent
You beat me to it. I've been meaning to mention Dog Day Afternoon also. Let me also add The Blackboard Jungle which I'm pretty sure is an MGM title, and Shaft.

Devlin

Auditioning
Would love to see these as part of the WB 2-disc collection -
* The Magnificent Ambersons
* Fred & Ginger sets (Top Hat/Carefree etc.)
* Meet Me in St.Louis
* That's Entertainment / II / III
* Kiss Me Kate (along with the 3D version)
* The Searchers
* White Heat
* The Merry Widow (Lubitsch)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Mr. Hunt,
Since there is no specific information concerning the original King Kong does that mean there is some sort of problem or delay? I thought this classic film was undergoing restoration by Warner Bros. for a 2003 release to celebrate it's 70th Anniversary? Is this still believed to be the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks