What's new

Potential WB "Two Disc Special Editions" (1 Viewer)

DeVario

Agent
The Outsiders (I know Francis Coppola is working on a new cut of the film. It would be great if it was a 2-disc SE.)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Yes, i'd like to see them redo MY FAIR LADY too! Also would love to see a 2 disc set of EAST OF EDEN with James Dean.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
My Fair Lady is now distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment. It was part of the CBS Video deal and the nice thing is that only the Warner Brothers logos were removed. Everything else remains the same.

Mr Fair Lady was restored and approved by Robert A. Harris so I can't see a new transfer anytime soon. Plus the only thing the DVD is really missing is the longer documentary from the Fox laserdisc.

Tim RH

Second Unit
THE SEARCHERS would probably be my #1 choice for a newly restored 2-Disc edition. Wouldn't anyone else buy that?! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Jazz Singer will probably get a good DVD, but not extras filled.
The movie itself is mediocre (Al Jolson even thought it was a pretty bad movie) but is good for historical purposes. I'd actually reccomend WHV to do DVD versions of their 3 Dawn of Sound and Al Jolson sets. Since this movie is just a little over an hour and most of the other Vitaphone talkies at the time were pretty short, it would be more efficient. Plus, WB would probably have to hold a gun to someone's head for them to want to get Lights of New York. :D

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Technically, it was a 1 disc set, although a 2 sided one. Same thing as WB's recent single sided 2 disc sets. Six or a half-dozen, depending on how you look at it. ;)
Bring on KING KONG, 2 disc set with the commentary from the Criterion LD!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I don't think the length of a movie will decide if it will get this treatment or not. Its a new "collection" that they are starting, and they have had previously produced documentaries on them like "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" and "Musicals, Great Musicals," which doesn't specifically focus on Singin' in the Rain. Speaking of Musicals, Great Musicals," I wish that WB would get around to releasing "That's Entertainment."

Bill Hunt

Insider
The Warner special editions we have specific information on are:

The Iron Giant
Goodfellas
Blazing Saddles
Batman
Forbidden Planet
Giant

Only Iron Giant is confirmed for 2003. The rest are TBD, pending a lot of issues. Personally, I'd like to see The Right Stuff on that list eventually. As for Blade Runner, it's coming as a 3-4 disc SE, but production is on the SLOW boat for a variety of reasons, so I would guess late 2003 is best case.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Forbidden Planet: 2 Disc Special Edition! :eek:
Digitally restored and remastered 2.55:1 anamorphic widescreen?
Restored original 4.0 soundtrack?
Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1?
Commentary?
Documentary?
I'm jumping the gun, I know. This could be a great DVD of a landmark film. Great, great news.
I'm surprised Warner are not doing a 2 disc of Casablanca, it seems so obvious to create a Special Edition of such a universally loved film. I'm sure it will happen within the next two years...
Great news, Bill.
Gordy

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd like to give a big second for "The Searchers"!

Does anyone have any details of what is to be included in the rumored Martin Scorsese box set? The first I heard of such a thing was in a posting in this thread.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thanks for the info, Bill.
What is it with Warner? Their 2-disc SE's are killing me! They're all must-buys. Ooh my aching wallet. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks