What's new

Potential WB "Two Disc Special Editions" (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
How about MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY with both versions on the two disc set.
That's not too different from what Universal did with Meet Joe Black. Put MJB with the excellent Death Takes A Holiday in a set...

Sorry to be kind of harsh, but this is equal to packaging Hitchcock's Psycho with the remake...and it being the only way to get the original.

GaryEA

Second Unit
WHV didn't do anything to Superman. The director's cut and new sound mix were done for the restoration.
Honestly, they did a lot to Superman IMO, both good and bad, and since this has been debated previously, I don't want to take up any more of the thread than necessary.
What I meant was that I hope WHV doesn't go in and alter the film (audio or visual) instead of just remastering it. Superman and Batman are their two cornerstone films in the action/family/superhero genre, and I'd hate to see the film get an "upgrade" just to shine as much as it's predecessor.
If some restoration is needed, then I trust they will do the best job possible, but I hope changes aren't made for the sake of sales.
All speculation of course. :)
-g

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I would like Gone With the Wind eventually, but I haven't even watched my MGM version yet that I bought over 2 years ago since I can't seem to set 4 straight hours aside...
Batman seems like another obvious choice.
I would love to see 2 disc Vacation movies, but I don't think they would have enough to warrant another disc and I would gladly take a single disc widescreen release.
I also noticed that on Amazon that Kane and Zhivago will now carry that "Two-disc..." marquee.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Don't I remember reading that WB was toying with including Son of Kong along with the original? That would go a long way to filling out 2 discs. I hope they dig up as much as possible for Kong.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
WB owns them.

MGM made the 1935 and 1962 versions and I think WB made the 1980's version.
The '80s version is already available on DVD from MGM. The other two are distributed by MGM on VHS although in retrospect that doesn't really mean anything since a lot of WB-owned titles are still floating around out there in MGM VHS editions.

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
if there is only one disc i could buy next year,it would be adventures of robin hood.if it would be a two disc special edition i would be in heaven.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Remember, I am quite the 80s movie buff, so please don't be surprised at some of my choices (Some already listed in this and other threads, others my own decisions):

-"Krush Groove"
-"The Hunger"
-"Blazing Saddles"
-"Body Heat"
-"Batman" and "Batman Returns" (Idea for a "Batman Returns" supplement: If there was a music video for the song that Goth rocker Siouxsie Sioux made for the movie, include it, please)
-Would there be enough material for a 2-disc SE of "It's Always Fair Weather"? That was a knock-'em-dead-kid musical by Stanley Donen with some of the best widescreen work ever done...an OAR 2-disc of this would be swell. Maybe if matched up with a documentary on Stanley Donen's career...
-"Who's That Girl?" (Make the 2-disc set a big Madonna-in-the-80s celebration, with the movie and related features on one disc, and Madonna music videos, promo spots, interviews and 80s "SNL" appearances on the other)
-"After Hours" (Screaming for a 2-disc SE like a scared Griffin Dunne on a rainy New York sidewalk)
-"Beetlejuice"
-"National Lampoon's Vacation" (Hell, OAR reissues of this, and the Christmas and Vegas trips as well would be just fine by me)
-"Lethal Weapon" (I wouldn't mind a triple-dip on this title...maybe there's even more stuff that didn't make it in)

Sincerely,

John "WB is doing better by me" Kilduff

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Well, I agree that Goodfellas is just crying for any kind of upgreaded release. I'd love to see Blade Runner get the deluxe treatment. I keep holding off on that one. Each time I see it and hold it, I think to myself, 'the sure way to get a special edition announced is for me to lay down the bucks on this one!!'

What I'd also like to see happen to Blade Runner is for it to get a 'Superbit' type release...

RayG

Stunt Coordinator
I hope Warner will do something special (like a 2 disc set) for Orson Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons. There is an endless amount of things they could do with this release. Sadly this film isn't as well known as Kane so it will probably be a while.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i'd pay some pretty cash for a loaded edition of 2010: The Year We Make Contact I think its a vastly underrated movie, that while not as good as the original (how could it be?), its still damn good science fiction. I"m sure there are things we could see that would merit a 2 discer.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Another few I've thought of were Yankee Doodle Dandy and Treasure of the Sierra Madre, but I'm not sure there would be enough to warrant a second disc. These are of the few AFI 100 movies left that aren't on DVD yet.

YANG

Screenwriter
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for WYATT EARP!
A S.E for THE WILD BUNCH D.C would be nice...with a interview with JOHN WOO talking about his favorite classic that inspires him into the action film making.
Possible???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks