What's new

Potential Moulin Rouge DTS Problem (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The DTS Track is out of sync when played on the Camelot "The Round table" DVD player.

Fortunately, the Lexicon MC-12 processor has an A/V sync delay feature that puts the movie back in sync so I can enjoy the movie in DTS. The DD tracks do not need the adjustment.

Paul

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
OK Guys, help me out here .. ..

We've been looking at this issue and have been unable to replicate / find any problem at our end on Panasonic / Toshiba / Sony players. We are testing other players as well.

What I need is the exact timecode for any passages taht you are consistently having problems with. I can then get our QC people (internal and external) to investigate this issue.

Thanks for your interest,

Peter Staddon

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mr.Staddon
Two examples I notice are during the "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" scene and during the "Elephant Love Medley" scene.
It's really apparent when I watch the same scene in DD which is fine. Bear in mind, the lip synch is only off a fraction, but I notice it.
Hope this helps and thanks for checking in.:)

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
Tino,

Can you do me a favor?

Watch your copy of Moulin Rouge in DTS, and select the audio from the main menu before starting the movie.

Sometimes players don't like it when you start watching a movie in one sound format and then switch to another.

Can you let me know if you are still experiencing poblems if you play it as I outlined above?

Thanks, Peter

Brendon

Second Unit
Mr. Staddon,

I'm seeing/hearing the same probelsm as Tino at the same points in the film he mentioned.

My (Pioneer) player does not allow the audio tracks to be switched "on the fly" on the Mouling Rouge disc.

The DTS soundtrack is out of sync both when the DTS soundtrack is selected and the film allowed to play from the beginning, or if DD5.1 is selected, the MENU button pressed, DTS selcted and returned back to the film at the same point.

The DD 5.1 track exhibits none of lip synch behaviour.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this - it's appreciated!

Brendon

RogerB

Second Unit
I poped in the disc, pressed MENU when the Fox Video promo started. From Main Menu selected LANGUAGES and selected the DTS soundtrack, back to main menu, selected PLAY. The THX into played in Dolby Digital according to my DVD player. When Chapter 1 started it switched to DTS. I watched the beginning of several chapters and the dialog looked in synch. When I got to Chapter 9, "Your Song", the initial dialog looked OK but as soon as Ewan started singing it looked out of synch. Skipped to next chapter, again dialog looked OK but when I got to Chapter 12 and the old man with red hair started singing it was out of synch again.

Sometimes it's off only a tiny bit but other times it's way off (different parts).

I have a JVC XVD-723GD progressive scan DVD player and a Denon 3801 receiver connected via optical cable. The Dolby Digital soundtrack plays fine.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mr. Staddon
Thank you so very much for looking into this discussion. I'm usually not one to complain - and I love the DVD - I'll agree w/ the HTF and vote it the best DVD of the year for 2001.
However, that being said:
I am also having the Lip Synch problem on my Panasonic (latest firmware) RP-91 as stated earlier in this thread.
I just checked again (chose DTS from the MENU before starting the film) and I still have it, most noticeably in the following spots:
------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAPTER 6 - Satine - The Sparkling Diamond
Right after the "CANCAN" dance, when John Leguizamo's character says:
"It's her..the Sparkling Diamond" (very noticeable here w/ John's line - to me anyway)
Also in Chapter 6, while Nicole is singing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" I can notice a delay on most every line of dialogue that is spliced in between the singing and during the actual singing done by Nicole Kidman.
Chapter 9 - YOUR SONG
While Ewan and Nicole are talking - right before Ewan starts singing "Your Song" and during the singing being done by Ewan - it is also noticeable.
Chapter 12 - The Pitch
Right when Zidler says "Spectacular...Spectacular" and from then on during the entire pitch and the "So exciting" number done by the cast.
Chapter 14 - Elephant Love Medley
The dialogue between Ewan and Nicole shows the same problem - off by a few fractions of a second (by my guess anyway).
Equipment being used:
Panasonic RP-91
Denon AVR-3300
Sony KP-57HW40
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Peter: I hope this information can help you out some. If you need anything else - I can surely help, if need be.
Also, If it means anything: My wife noticed that things were not right a few minutes into the movie. Even before I did. :) I guess I have trained her well......:)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
One other thing that I just came accross w/ this DVD:
While adding it to my DVD PROFILER list, I noticed that both the UPC # and the Cat. No shown on my DVD differ from the ones shown in the DVD Profiler Database. I looked at images from around the web and the two numbers also differ from my copy.
I may be grasping at straws here - but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case it was relevant to production issues.
----------------------------------------------------------
Here is my Moulin Rouge DVD info:
Cat. No. 2000871
UPC #: 2454300871
----------------------------------------------------------
Numbers I noticed from the DVD Profiler database:
Cat. No. 2003210
UPC #: 2454303210
-----------------------------------------------------------
Numbers I noticed from the DVDempire.com web site
Cat. No. 200870
UPC #: 2454300870
-----------------------------------------------------------
Like I said, I'm probably grasping at straws here - but I'm just trying to help out :)
Shouldn't the Cat. No's and UPC #'s all be the same?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mr. Staddon
I did exactly as you suggested and I am still experiencing the DTS Lip Synch problem. I did notice however that it is a bit inconsistent, with some scenes worse than others.
BTW, my Moulin Rouge Catalog No. and UPC code is exactly the same as Michaels above. Hmm....
Thanks again:)

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm experiencing the same DTS problem on my Toshiba 6200. It's slight but noticeable, in all the above-noted locations.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Although I didn't have time to watch more than 40 mins or so this morning but I did noticed DTS sync problem with Nicholes first song, and I selected DTS thru the Menu Language option.

Equipment:

Panasonic DVD-RV31K - Audio: Optical

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba 50H81 - Video Input HD1: AR Component cables

Phil

Daniel Storm

Auditioning
you guys are not alone ... I came over from the avsforum website to see if people on other websites were getting the same thing!
Someone at avs has started a similar thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=100812
I am also using the Toshiba 6200 in DTS and DD 5.1 and I am experiencing the same problems as everyone else. I sure hope this gets corrected quickly. :frowning: Glad to see we have someone at Fox looking into this.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Hey guys,
I'm REALLY trying to look closely for any lip-sync problems, but I don't see anything. I haven't watched the whole movie, but I've been skipping around the chapters mentioned as being problematic. The only place where I THOUGHT I saw a problem was the beginning of chapter 12, but it was VERY questionable. I switched to the DD track and it looked the same, so I really can't say that I find any problems. Certainly, I wouldn't have noticed anything if I hadn't been looking for it.
I'm using a Pioneer player (DV-414) and listening to the DTS track through my Aiwa AV-D58 A/V receiver. (Hey, I'm a poor graduate student living in a small one-bedroom apartment-- It's good enough for me (for now). :) )
I don't know if this really means anything, but the catalog number and UPC from my copy is different from ANY of the ones Michael listed above. My copy's catalog number is 2000872 and the UPC is 024543008729 (or 2454300872).
-Kelly

Steve_Lam

Auditioning
Hi all!
O.k. My UPC number is the same as Michael's (2454303210), and I also have the DTS lip synch problems in the same areas and I'd also describe them in the same way.
My equipment:
Pioneer DV-333 (don't laugh) :P
Denon 3801
Besides that, Moulin Rouge! is an amazing DVD and the packaging is great.
Hope someone gets to the bottom of this problem,
SLam

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the different UPCs are for the US and Canadian versions of Moulin Rouge. They are identical except that the US version has a spanish dd 2.0 track where the Canadian version has a french dd 2.0 track, in other words - the DTS track should be identical on the two.

An educated guess is that most of us europeans have the Canadian version (reason beeing many canadian retailers are better at slipping through customs with their shipments)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ok, so I have VERY subtle sync issues too (not totally to my dismay since I my set up loves the Dolby track just as much). The audio seems a fraction of a second ahead of the performers, and with me it didn't really become obvious until Your Song.

I'm running a region modded Sony 725 which was fixed over a year ago with a firmware upgrade to rid it of existing sync problems. This is the first issue I've had since prior to having it fixed. Running it through my Tag McLaren AV32R and Rotel 5 channel power amp.

For what it's worth, I'm using the US copy of the disc.

Dan (UK)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've tried looking for the problem in chapters 9 and 14 on my Pioneer Elite DV-09. If it's there, then it's too subtle for me to notice it.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Had the problem during the "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number. It was very minor and it fixed itself quickly.

I am using an Onkyo DV-600.

-Dean-

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks