What's new

Posts STILL not showing up! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
First off, I use Web tv to do all my posting as I don't have a computer just yet, last week when the new server came down I started having problems with my posts not showing up as soon as I submit them as they did BEFORE the new server, but as I said before, I get all the proper indications that it went through fine, the topic even gets bumbed, and another number added to it, but it takes anywhere between a few minuets to a half an hour for the posts to finally appear. What's also funny is whenever I start a new topic, it goes through and appears immediatly, but posts are delayed somehow. I also noticed that I sometimes can't see other members posts either, even though the topic list indicates a new one has been posted. For instance, if a topic indcates that it has 10 responces, i'll go in and they're only be 8 or 9!?
confused.gif

My other concern is that during the delay after I submit a response, the time when it hasn't appeared yet, can other members see it even though I can't yet?
I contacted Web tv, and told them all about the problem, and about the cookies deal, and they said that everythng on their end is fine, otherwise I would be getting an 'ERROR' message if their was a problem with the cookie. So I don't get it, the domain name has come down, but i'm still having trouble.
If somene who is knowledgable of this stuff could please look into this problem for me, I would really appreciate it, because this is driving me nuts.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
UPDATE!
I contacted Web tv again, and was told to ask you if their is a version of the forum that uses Java script instead of CGI, I was told this may be what is causing the problem for me.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Posts and other members responses not showing up at all now!! PLEASE HELP!!!
------------------

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
It could be the cache. If the page is in the cache you may be seeing an old copy of it. Try hitting refresh and see if the page suddenly changes.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hitting refresh does nothing, I hit it repeadadly. I'm starting to panic here! If I can't figure this thing out, my posting days may be done, or at least my ability to see other members responses.
The entire forum for me, is as it was about three hours ago!!??
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Bill Bucklis, the only way I can see what you posted, is by checking my e-mail, their is nothing on this page except my initial post.
------------------

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:
Everything that you are posting is showing up. You have a problem with your WebTV. If any type of javascript was the problem then you would have never been able to post to the forum in the first place. The only other thing that I can suggest to make sure that you have any type of cacheing disabled on your system or check with Microsoft and see if there is anyway to clear your WebTV of any of the old pages to the forum.
Parker

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm unfamiliar with webtv but from all indications Parker is right, it sounds like your webtv is still using cached information from when you posted. In IE and Netscape you can have it check for new info every time it refreshes the page--in fact I think the browsers are set to do that by default nowadays. In the early days of Netscape 2 and 3 they used cached info because people with 28.8K modems couldn't afford to reload the info all the time. Now with people having at least 56k if not broadband, DSL or LAN, these browsers are now coming preconfigured to load each page on every attempted refresh.
Might try digging around your manual, as there is nothing wrong on Parker's side of the equation.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Parker, I contacted Web tv again, and told them what you said about getting rid of the old forum that may still be in my memory, so they flushed out my memory, and it seems to be a little better. I just tested it in the testing area 4 times, and it went through fine with the exception of one, but after I hit refresh, it too popped up.
So, it seems this is something i'm just going to have to live with until I get a computer. Thanks for your help.
Now, let's see what happens when I submit this post...
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
YES!!! I figured something out here, before I had Web t.v clear my memory, refreshing didn't work, and it still doesn't unless... I hit it twice in quick succession, every post has come up by doing this.
So, I think this thread will have a happy ending after all, I CAN POST AGAIN!!
Once again, thanks everyone for the help.
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
In IE and Netscape
you can have it check for new info every time it refreshes the page
Doesn't work for me, I can set that option to whatever I want to, doesn't matter either way, my browser (at work) always tends to use the cache version... Beats me why that option doesn't seem to have any effect. I asked below in another thread if this could be a problem with our Proxy server/firewall????? I got no responses.
I run NS 4.77 both at home and at work, but at home I have no problem at all, but at work, I always have to hit "reload"
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jay:
It may have something to do with you password or firewall. I am not sure. Contact your IS department at work and see if they can shine some light on the situation.
Parker

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Are you using IE/Netscape through a proxy server instead of just through a NAT firewall? If so, then the proxy server may be caching the pages for you. Hitting refresh usually gets the new page, but it can depend on the proxy server. The server should be configurable on its cache settings as well.
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks guys, I thought so, it would figure that the b*stards in IS are screwing the HTF up for me. But until I get friendly with one of them, (not likely since we outsourced IS to CSC awhile ago) I'll have to live with it. It's not like I can freely admit to surfing the HTF while working, ya know... :)
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES!
Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
Obscuria.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
We used to let the proxy server cache pages for us [supposed to be quicker, since it caches for everybody and not just a single user]. Then we discovered that every time we launched IE and the msn home page would come up, the page would be for a date several days ago. Hitting refresh always popped up the new page. But, that got really annoying fast. HTF pages had the same problem, naturally.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
UPDATE, All seems to be back to normal now, i'm getting the current page as soon as I hit submit without hitting refresh. Now I can truly enjoy this new server! Thanks again for everyones help.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and women of our military and their families!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks