What's new

Posting Guidelines for Charities? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Are there any guidelines for soliciting charitable donations on the forum? I ask because this post now appears and while I agree that it's for a good cause, there are other worthwhile charities as well. I do several fundraisers a year (JDF, Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, American Heart Association etc.) and I've always held off on soliciting contributions on the forum. But if it's allowed, I'll go ahead and post a notice. Also, will any charity post be anchored to the top of the forum like the current one is?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Michael,

I sort of knew that once we allowed one
person to post a solicitation for charity
that others would follow, and that gave me
great concern.

Don't get me wrong here --- I think it's great
that HTF can be used to help raise money for great
causes like MS.

The problem is that if we allow one person to
campaign for donations to a cause (which we have),
then we have to allow everyone else.

This leads to greater problems....

First, we really don't want this forum
overrun with people campaigning for donations
for their favorite cause.

Second, how do we prevent scam artists from
using this forum to collect money that will
go into their own pockets?

Since I am posting this response without
consulting my partner, I can just say off the
top of my head that I'd rather not have this
forum used for raising charity money.

I repeat that my reasons have nothing
to do with the cause, but rather the effect.

We allowed the campaign that is currently in
progress because it was the first one brought
to our attention, and frankly, the MS cause
is very near and dear to my partner and I.

Will we permit any more? I hate to give an
answer on that. As I stated, I think it will
lead to more problems.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Michael:

We have had other charitable causes represented on HTF in the past. I remember one that we did with Gregg Loewen for a Ronald McDonald House that did well. I also remember a few others that have all gone through Ron and I and asked permission to run them on the forum. This is what Dr. Kurland asked for with the MS 150 that he will be in.

The bottom line on all of this is that if people want to post something up on the forum about a charity that they want to support then they need to request to do so with Ron and I first.

This particular event is something that Dr. Kurland is involved with at this period of time. I believe that when particular drives have started up for a particular charity then would be the time to ask Ron or I for permission to post about your charity and ask for contributions from the membership.

As far as making it sticky. Yes it will be made sticky for about a week. Then it comes down. Making it sticky allows for maximum exposure for the cause at hand at the time at hand.

I believe that the membership and owners of this forum can work together with lots of different organizations when the time comes. Working together and setting something up will keep the abuses from happening at at the same time allow those charities that are in need benefit from our membership participation.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks