What's new

Post Older-movie watching depression... (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It's when you start catching unexpected glimpses of yourself in mirrors or other reflective surfaces, and the person you see bears little or no resemblance to the image of yourself that's frozen in your memory.
Yikes. Never heard of that. The only time that happens to me is when I get a haircut ;)

--
Holadem

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Re: Tom's original point... I'm 32, and it hasn't happened to me, not with movies at least. Sometimes I see pictures or people that remind me of my teenage years, and I do become a bit nostalgic.

However, when it comes to movies, the effect is almost the opposite. I used to watch "Smokey and the bandit" ALL the time when I was little, so naturally it was the first movie I bought when I got a DVD-player. :D

I almost dread watching it, I hadn't seen it in many years... but what happened was that instead of becoming depressed and pining for my younger years, I felt like I was transported once again to that place... being 11 years old, sitting on the floor in front of the TV, thinking "this movie is the coolest movie ever". :) Sure, the movie might leave many things to be desired when viewed with an adult eye and mind, but it's almost impossible for me to view it like that. As soon as I sit down to watch it (it still is my most watched DVD), everything else in the world just goes away, and I become that little kid, watching the best movie in the world. :)

FredK

Second Unit
At least 15 years from now (I'll be 40 then just like Tom) we'll all have the OT on HD-DVD.

I'm a lot happier at 25 than I was at 10, but that's mostly because I can BUY THINGS... woohoo! I had to hear all about LD's for years while they were way out of my league.

About being depressed, I understand what you mean Tom but movies don't get me down. I would imagine it should be a cool thing to own a good copy of Willow.

For me, I loved Transformers the movie as a kid and I picked it up on release. I've only watched it once since (it's not exactly reference), when I was sick enough to be stuck at home on the couch last year. It really turned a miserable day into a great day... my wife made fun of me, but I couldn't imagine any other movie boosting my spirits better than Transformers.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
This thread is going to force me to shoot myself, and end the misery before it really starts :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know precisly what your talking about Tom. For me, that one special film is E.T., I saw it with my dad in the theater whan I was 10 as a birthday present, it was also my very first time ever seeing a movie in a theater!

What magic there was in the air during that time period, I can't even describe it in words for anyone else to fully grasp except me, only I know the full extent of emotions from that period of my life. I subsequently saw it two more times, both with my dad and the experience of seeing that film with my dad just got deeper and more meaningful everytime.

Flash foreward to the presant, i'm now 30, and watching that film now creates a two fold emotion in me, on one hand I still throughly love the film and always will until I punch the clock out of here, but on the other hand... it's sadness that I feel.

Sadness because of those first memories, before time turned me into a cynic, an adult with problems and responsabilities. That innocent little boy who sat in that theater with his dad is long gone, all that's left of him is a ghost in my mind of what he was like.

I want it back, but such is the cruelty of growing up, it robs us of these things, these young wide eyed thoughts, feelings and emotions.

However...

I saw he 20th anniversary rerelease with some friends, I wouldn't have missed it for the world even if the film was altered, and you know what? I still cried during the film. The film managed to dust away 20 years of growing and reach that kid again! It made me feel so good knowing that I still had the ability to cry during that film, and that the little boy who I thought was lost was still in me somewhere, found and hugged momentarily by the film.

Hey, who wants to hear a joke? :D

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Thanks for sharing that MickeS, that's a good story. It's funny, because the only movies that have ever depressed me in the past have been "depressing movies" (i.e. Schindler's List, etc). This was the first time that a happy action movie made me sad; that is why I posted in the first place. It really struck me as odd that a movie like this could really get me down. Normally, things from my childhood make me happy. This was the first time that I looked at it from a different perspective and got a bit of a different emotional response.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
John Williamson: BINGO! You just described my feelings to a "T."

Though sad, I appreciate your experience. BTW, ET was the first movie I saw in theaters too :)

And to answer your call for a joke, here's one that's short and simple:

Bob: Have you heard about the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie?

Larry: No

Bob: Yeah, it's rated "RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Back to the depressing subjects :) ;)

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed recently after watching the redone STAR TREK dvd's, I started feeling nostalgic for my youth. I saw them all in the theater. And watching the movies again made me feel like I was visiting old friends I had somehow forgotten about. It was a real bittersweet feeling. Remembering when I had nothing to do but watch movies and read books and hang out with my friends. Growing up can suck. But at least I have a lot of good memories attached to some great movies.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
A phenomenon that I've noticed in my own film viewing habits is that when I was a child, I would watch ANYTHING! I didn't read reviews, I just turned on HBO and watched. Nowadays, I am sooo picky about what I watch. I think I miss out on a lot of fun, though not necessarily good movies. Some classics that I remember from my childhood are SUPER FUZZ, SURF II, PANDEMONIUM, and THERE GOES THE BRIDE. Now as a child, I loved these films and watched them over and over, but I just know deep down in my heart that if I were to view them again, all of my good memories would go out the window. That kind of depresses me. I not sure if it the fact that I miss being young or that I had such frickin' BAD taste in movies back then! :D

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
It really turned a miserable day into a great day... my wife made fun of me, but I couldn't imagine any other movie boosting my spirits better than Transformers.
Buying and marathon watching the Transformers TV series on DVD is what convinced my wife that I will have the maturity level of a 10 year old for the rest of my life... she had hoped I'd grow up after a few years of marriage =p Of course, feeling like a 10 year old and seeing a 32 year old in the mirror... :)

For me, I get a great joy in reliving things from my past, because I had a great past, and in my present, many of the things I loved are gone. Favorite TV shows are never aired, friends I grew up with (and grew apart from) I never see or hear about. It's not that it's SAD for me per se, as I love my present life too, it's just... disconcerting to step back to the present.

Wouldn't that be great if you could live your life out of order? Or even if it were possible that as an old man, before your time has come, everyone got a reunion with everyone they had ever been friends with in their life.

Bah, now I'm getting nostalgic and sentimental. Time to go find a "That was the worst simpsons episode ever" thread. Thank god SOME things never change =p

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I completely understand where this thread was coming from.

On a somewhat related note, I find I'm prone to bouts of depression when I stop to think just how insignificant we really are, and how little we will see.. that we will die. I remember, when I was a kid, walking up to my Mother and saying "If we're all going to die, why do we bother with jobs, work, education, all this mess. Why do we bother with capitalism, communism, getting ahead..It seems really depressing to me..".. and it likely forever will.

This thread is going to force me to shoot myself, and end the misery before it really starts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks