Possibly Krishna song?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Greg_S_H, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've been hearing a song on the radio a lot lately that sounds like it's maybe a Krishna song. It would most likely be from the '70s. It sounds a little like George Harrison, like the "Vishnu, Vishnu" section of "My Sweet Lord," but it's not that. The best I can do is try to do a phonetic version of how I remember the chorus in my mind and just hope you know of a famous song from the period that had what sounds like Indian chant/singing. I hear:
    Ba baba da, com sada swa
    Ba bura da, com sada swa
    Repeats that for a bit. It's probably too much to ask for anyone to know what I'm talking about, but it's driving me nuts. This list didn't seem to help:
    Hare Krishna in popular culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

you are correct. APPLE Records did put this out in 1970/71
    MY GF used to play it to death but for the life of me I cant remember the name of it, produced by GH

3. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks. That gives an area to search in. I thought I heard George on the backing vocals, but I couldn't find it on his albums.
    The station was playing it a lot recently, but of course, they've stopped now.

4. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Shankar's "Oh Bhaugowan" has a promising title. Substitute that for my "Ba baba da," and it sounds right in my mind. Unfortunately, I could only find a 1995 Shankar version and it didn't sound anything like it. If the Beatles strongly backed him on the original, this might be it. I think I'm hearing John's vocals in my mind.

5. Charles Miller

Charles Miller Auditioning

Could it be "Hare Krishna Mantra" by the Radha Krishna Temple (London)

George Harrison: producer

APPLE 15

Release Date 29th August 1969

U.K. Singles Chart Detail : Entry Date : 13th September 1969

Highest Position : 12

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

It's in my collection but I have it as Apple 1810.
    [edit]
    Hare Krsna Mantra / Prayer To The Spiritual Masters (single) Released August 22, 1969 in the US, Apple 1810/ August 29, 1969 in the UK, Apple 15.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg
    The one I am talking about it a little more "poppy." It's in a similar vein to My Sweet Lord, though I think the lyrics are entirely hindi. I think I listened to the Hare Krishna Mantra at YouTube, if it's the one that repeats, "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna." If so, it's a different one.

8. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

here ya go,mate: Radha Krsna Temple, The - The Radha Krsna Temple (LP, Album) at Discogs
    APPLE 15 would have been the UK/EMI first issue catalog number series- APPLE also used SAPCOR(18) numbering system as a series of lower budget-re-released or non Beatle recordings. ALL EMI LPs had "type style" stamped inner matrix numbers (around he label area)-if its hand written-probably boot
    (all often had an EU sub catalog number, as in: (1E-064-05429 UK) 2B-Holland, 3D Germany etc All had much nicer covers-fine inks and finished/textured paper
    SW(or ST) 1810 would be the US/Capitol edition-standard churn 'em out for as little as they could get away with
    might be scare-but try to get the UK version-EMI made MUCH better sounding records back then-Thick, flat-no scuffs and better dynamic range
    The USA mass produced them as "product" and could have given a sh*t about quality
    Rhada Kri

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Well, it took nearly five years, but I happened to catch this song on satellite radio today. #9 Dream by John Lennon. Fortunately, it wasn't weighing on my mind this whole time. I forgot about it until it came on.

Ockeghem likes this.