Possible New Superbits.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Tsai, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I can't wait for Spidey in Superbit! I have a feeling it's going to be release near the opening of Spidey 2. I think, Sony is releasing Charlie's Angel in Superbits as well with free tickets to Angel's 2.

bruce

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

So, I take it Mr. Harris that you were not brought on board for this new DVD release of Lawrence of Arabia? Sony strikes twice! The weasels!

I'd definitely want DTS on there (and it's a Superbit release anyway) with the new remix as its source, just for the fact that if done right the lesser compression helps a bit with the audio quality.

Dan

3. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

4. Dan Hitchman

If a big blockbuster doesn't first show up as a Superbit, just be patient. Knowing Sony, it'll happen eventually!

Dan

5. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

Ok, so you're smarter than me. [​IMG] Seriously though, instead of releasing a special edition and then a Superbit, they could have made it a Superbit Deluxe.

6. John^Lal

John^Lal Stunt Coordinator

i spent $35 on Lawrence of Arabia...i don't think i can justify another purchase

7. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

True, but by making a special edition, followed by a superbit, some of us will buy it twice, giving them double the profit. That's the smart way to do business. How many times have I bought Mask Of Zorro now anyway?

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

9. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Well, Spidey, Riverdance, and LoA are definite buys for me. Not so sure about Starship Troopers, as the SE is already pretty darn good.

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    So, if Robert Harris is apparently not involved in the LoA SB, that maybe suggests the color timing, the only real flaw with the current LE, will not be fixed properly? The sound on the LE is fine, I don't have a problem with it, though better would be nice, I would not rebuy just for dts. If Sony is smart they will release a 2 disc SB *without* any extras...frankly, I think the market for the SB is pretty much the same type of people who already have the LE, enthusiasts, no need to piss them off totally...at least make them think the LE is worth holding on to.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Unless Mr. Harris is involved, I will not pre-order LOA. I will not touch the SuperBit unless he approves it.

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    While I don't wish to get into another discussion of the problems of the Lawrence DVD, it should be understood that there were problems with both audio and picture.

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Have you got a link to a reference that summarizes these problems? For those of us too young to have seen the original movie, and those of us who haven't been lucky enough to see the restored version. For those people, like me, the actual LE disc does not seem problematical at all, in that it's technically functional, even though it may not be an accurate representation of the original. Personally, my big problem with the movie, which I like for itself, is its historical accuracy, but then it's entertainment. Thanks.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I will not "double-dip" on Superman unless it is a SBD. I think they can revisit some of the older titles like First Knight, Hook and some others that could really benefit with new transfers.

15. Dan Hitchman

Don't you mean Spiderman?

Although, a SB Superman w/DTS would be cool. [​IMG]

Dan

16. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I won't double dip on LoA either; Unless they get RH to supervise the transfer process. Paid $30 for the LE and won't pay any more $$ for fancy extras that I'll watch once.

17. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

18. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I would like to see a color corrected/restored/remastered 2disc SB-SE of

Gilliams' THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN.

I thought the Columbia LD of the film had perhaps the best coloration, with honorable mention to the CRITERION LD.

IMHO, there is something "wrong" about the current DVD-it is not "enjoyable"
    or right, to my eyes at all...
    something is off- the colors are 'bland' or not as alive as on the LD-
    im not talking saturation per se...

19. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

IIRC, there is also a botched music cue on the current Lawrence of Arabia DVD that needs fixing, among other problems(?)

20. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Interesting news, I also would be definately interested in Lawrence if done right. Additionally, I never did get the new SE of Starship Troopers so that might be a worthy upgrade.

btw Dan H: do you have a DTS alarm? seems you're always around the moment it comes up [​IMG].