What's new

Possible new director for the Superman movie... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to a rumor report at www.trektoday.com Jonathan Frakes is being considered for the new Superman movie. He is currently working on the live action version of the Thunderbirds.

The one good thing about Frakes. Playing Riker and directing one of the Trek movies. Is he knows how loyal fans react to something they care about.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Jonathan Frakes...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... IMO if they're going to make another Superman movie get a director with balls, so to speak. By that I mean a devil behind a camera, not a question mark of a possibility.

Or better yet just leave the Superman franchise alone. Let it go, Warner Brothers.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If they were going to get a Star Trek director, I would have suggested Brent Spiner, but Jonathan Frakes is decent. It does seem odd to give one the the most expensive movies ever to a guy who's only done one movie before, and it grossed about $37 million. (Clockstoppers)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
He also directed First Contact, which made over $150 million worldwide :)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
...and was the best Next-Gen movie by far. However, his name gets rumored for dozens of projects, so I'll believe this when I see an announcement for the WB. Not that it matters, seeing as how they've already offered a part to Justin Timberlake (Jimmy Olsen).

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I was reading the imdb incorrectly. Frakes actually is a pretty good choice. He's shown he can direct an action movie and he's relatively cheap.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I can't believe no one has said...

Make it so. :D

If Frakes GENUINELY cares about this, I'm all for it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
:thumbsdown: Smallville's continously bested the F/X of Clockstoppers on a tv budget and schedule. I don't see Frakes pushing any boundries with the presentation of the icon. I say wait for Smallville to end, book Gough and Millar as screenwriters and, as Gary said, get a director with balls.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Clockstoppers was only a $10 million movie and it's not like Frakes did the effects himself. I don't see how that has anything to do with Superman.

I think he does like Superman. he did guest once on Lois and Clark. My understanding is it's because he wanted to do it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
jonathan frakes also did some episodes of the tv series of falcon crest..1984-1985. he was an actor on the series, and this was before he did the next generations series. he had some scenes with actress Sarah Douglas who played Ursa in Superman: The Movie and Superman 2.

JACOB

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
My vote still goes to the Warchowski brothers... anyone who's seen the trailer when Neo goes down to one kneeand takes off
knows exactly what I'm talking about, and they know why those boys need to be given Superman.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I can just see it...Kung Fu Superman! :rolleyes:

Just leave it alone...they're never gonna get it better than Superman 1&2...just rerelease those back in theaters and give the kiddies who've never seen a Superman movie the real deal!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I know it's just a rumor right now, but I really think this is not a bad choice. Jonathan Frakes has a lot of talent behind the camera and has shown a lot of promise. Some of the Frakes-helmed Next Generation episodes are among the best of the series, and everyone was impressed at the time with how organized he was.

I thought he did a great job with First Contact, taking the audience's mind off many of the script's plot holes. And his direction on Clockstoppers was much better than the movie deserved.

Superman could be the one that really kicks him to high gear. I think he'd do great.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Dark Horizons reported this week that the Superman film has been put on the back burner due to escalating costs. This on again, off again film has to have the longest development period of any film in history!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I dunno, Spider Man was developed on and off for over 10 years by many different people and studios.

Jason

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

That's all this film's production has been.

I say they just drop the whole thing.

Bruce_S

Second Unit
My vote still goes to the Warchowski brothers
I go with the Matrix brothers to direct the film and have Gough and Millar as screenwriters. That will be one incredible team to bring Superman franchise back.

Question, why wouldn't WB offer W. brothers this franchise after seeing what they have done with Matrix?

Matrix brothers + Superman = Ka-ching!!!

-bruce

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Clockstoppers was only a $10 million movie and it's not like Frakes did the effects himself. I don't see how that has anything to do with Superman.
Yeah, but a typical episode budget is less than half that. I didn't say that he did the effects himself. I was commenting on the lack of vision to do something more original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks