Possible new director for the Superman movie...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, May 9, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

According to a rumor report at www.trektoday.com Jonathan Frakes is being considered for the new Superman movie. He is currently working on the live action version of the Thunderbirds.

The one good thing about Frakes. Playing Riker and directing one of the Trek movies. Is he knows how loyal fans react to something they care about.

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Jonathan Frakes...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... IMO if they're going to make another Superman movie get a director with balls, so to speak. By that I mean a devil behind a camera, not a question mark of a possibility.

Or better yet just leave the Superman franchise alone. Let it go, Warner Brothers.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I vote for Leave it Be

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

If they were going to get a Star Trek director, I would have suggested Brent Spiner, but Jonathan Frakes is decent. It does seem odd to give one the the most expensive movies ever to a guy who's only done one movie before, and it grossed about $37 million. (Clockstoppers)

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

He also directed First Contact, which made over $150 million worldwide [​IMG]

6. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

...and was the best Next-Gen movie by far. However, his name gets rumored for dozens of projects, so I'll believe this when I see an announcement for the WB. Not that it matters, seeing as how they've already offered a part to Justin Timberlake (Jimmy Olsen).

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wasn't he also involved in that lame Fox special on alien autopsies from Roswell?

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I was reading the imdb incorrectly. Frakes actually is a pretty good choice. He's shown he can direct an action movie and he's relatively cheap.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I can't believe no one has said...

Make it so. [​IMG]

If Frakes GENUINELY cares about this, I'm all for it.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

[​IMG] Smallville's continously bested the F/X of Clockstoppers on a tv budget and schedule. I don't see Frakes pushing any boundries with the presentation of the icon. I say wait for Smallville to end, book Gough and Millar as screenwriters and, as Gary said, get a director with balls.

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Clockstoppers was only a $10 million movie and it's not like Frakes did the effects himself. I don't see how that has anything to do with Superman.

I think he does like Superman. he did guest once on Lois and Clark. My understanding is it's because he wanted to do it.

12. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    jonathan frakes also did some episodes of the tv series of falcon crest..1984-1985. he was an actor on the series, and this was before he did the next generations series. he had some scenes with actress Sarah Douglas who played Ursa in Superman: The Movie and Superman 2.

JACOB

13. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    My vote still goes to the Warchowski brothers... anyone who's seen the trailer when Neo goes down to one kneeand takes off
    knows exactly what I'm talking about, and they know why those boys need to be given Superman.

14. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I can just see it...Kung Fu Superman! [​IMG]

Just leave it alone...they're never gonna get it better than Superman 1&2...just rerelease those back in theaters and give the kiddies who've never seen a Superman movie the real deal!

15. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I know it's just a rumor right now, but I really think this is not a bad choice. Jonathan Frakes has a lot of talent behind the camera and has shown a lot of promise. Some of the Frakes-helmed Next Generation episodes are among the best of the series, and everyone was impressed at the time with how organized he was.

I thought he did a great job with First Contact, taking the audience's mind off many of the script's plot holes. And his direction on Clockstoppers was much better than the movie deserved.

Superman could be the one that really kicks him to high gear. I think he'd do great.

16. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Dark Horizons reported this week that the Superman film has been put on the back burner due to escalating costs. This on again, off again film has to have the longest development period of any film in history!

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I dunno, Spider Man was developed on and off for over 10 years by many different people and studios.

Jason

18. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

[​IMG]

That's all this film's production has been.

I say they just drop the whole thing.

19. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer