What's new

portable dvd screen question - 480x234 pixels (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
This is my first post in this section of the forum, and I wanted to ask a question. I've been considering buying the Toshiba SDP-1200 portable dvd player. (here's the link so you can get an idea of what it's like - http://www.computers4sure.com/produc...d=874&adid=874)

My question is, how good can I expect the screen to be? It has a 7" inch progressive scan screen with 480 X 234 pixel resolution. Is 480 X 234 enough for a 7 inch player? That comes out to only about 112,320 pixels, which I believe is less than other models (I could be mistaken). What exactly does this mean? Is that enough pixels? Since picture quality is what's most important to me, is there any way to know whether or not this will have a good screen quality?

Guy_K

Second Unit
Unfortunately, no one answered my question as to how good I should expect the screen to be. I'll give it a bump to see if anyone can help.

It just seems that 112,320 pixels isn't enough. Is screen quality primarily determined by pixels? I like to see every detail, even the smallest when watching a DVD.

Guy_K

Second Unit
Let me bring this to the top one last time, then I'll let it die.

I always see portable DVD players give their pixel counts. If anyone can tell me the significance of pixels, I'd appreciate it. In my experience, the more pixels, the more detailed the image. So should I assume this 7" screen will not be detailed because it only has 112,320 pixels? (while the Toshiba SD-P2000 has over 500,000). How much of a factor are pixels? Here are some other specs on the dvd player, if they make any difference -

Features:
7" Widescreen, Active Matrix Display
480x234-pixel resolution
12-Bit/54mHz Video digital-to-analog conversion

Being a complete amateur, this means nothing to me, so I really need help in determining if this is worth it or not.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, your assumption is correct. Less pixels=less resolution.

I HATE those little portable players.

Guy_K

Second Unit
Thanks for the information, Josh.

So does anybody have any idea as to how good 480X234 pixel resolution would be?

John|Ca

Auditioning
If I were looking to buy that model I'd go to the nearest store to check out the player in person. Toshiba should have a "where to buy" link on their website.
I'm not sure if I can post a link to their website here. Good luck!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Guy:

I am looking at this player myself. Clint Walker (editor of DVD ETC) has an excellent article on this player in the upcoming issue. He loves it. He says the picture quality is fantastic and the audio quality is right up there too.

Quoting Clint

...there isn't currently another portable player that I'm aware of today that can even compete with the value and performance of this unit. I suggest some manufacturers get busy copying this unit. I can't imagine a worthy opponent to the Toshiba SD-P1200 anytime soon.
It sounds to me like this player is at least worth checking into closer and judge the picture quality for yourself.

Parker

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
There's a fairly detailed thread on the SD-P1200 on the AVS Forum.

For the best picture I've seen on a portable, check out the Toshiba SD-P2000. I got it on an unadvertised special from OneCall for $561 shipped last week. It plays everything, including a XSVCD I burned straight from a ReplayTV file (720x480 3985 kbps mpeg2 video, 48 kHz 224 kbps audio).

Enjoy,

Tim

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just received my new Toshiba SD-P2000 yesterday (ordered from OneCall like Timothy). This player will be an upgrade from an old Pioneer LC10 7-inch model.

I did a quick calibration with Avia and then tried out a couple of discs. This player's picture quality is a very big improvement over my old Pioneer -- The Fifth Element (Superbit) looked incredible. The progressive scan display does make a huge difference.

One reason I upgraded was for a larger screen. My suggestion would be to go for a model with the largest screen size you can afford -- the almost two-inch difference between my old Pioneer and the Toshiba is very noticable.

OneCall only had a few SD-P2000's left in stock when I ordered on Monday. This model is being discontinued and replaced with a new SD-P2500 this summer.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
DVD resoluton is 720X480. Any modern standard tv cna display that resolution.

The screen you are talking about is only about half that resolution, so you will only be seeing half of the image detail. In my opinion you would be better off buying a laptop with a dvd rom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks