What's new

Port blocking with the PB2+...WOW (1 Viewer)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had my PB2+ since the first of the year but due to some chronic family illness, we haven't been able to enjoy it loud as much as we did the 20-39pc that it replaced. Having kinda grown accustomed to the 20 hz response of the the pc, I just threw in one port block and set it to the 20 hz level and let her rip.
As I said, we haven't been able to turn this monster up much at all but I did note that it wasn't as thunderous at the sweet spot as I thought it would be. Moving around the room showed me that it was definitely thunderous elsewhere but I am limited with placement so I just learned to live with it.
My GFs illness has got somewhat better and allowed us to watch a few movies a little louder lately and I've got back into messing with my system more. The other night I got a wild hair and plugged another port and set the switch to 16hz. WOWOWOWOW... what a difference! Dramatic change in "pressure" at my sweet spot and my house is shaking a LOT more!!!
It's hard to believe the difference that another port block made. It makes me wanna go back through my huge collection of movies that I bought just for the audio!!!

TonyWright

Second Unit
Sweet! I am going to try it tonight! My in-laws are coming over for Thanksgiving and they have yet to hear my new toy. I have an opportunity to leave a serious impression. :D

I think I am going to test out the 16Hz tuning on them! My wife is going to hate me... :b

Coincidentally, can anyone suggest some good DVD's with which to test the 16Hz setting? Is there much material out there that has bass information that goes that low?

Thanks.

Tony

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I was watching some of the Band of Brothers dvds when I noticed the significance of the 16hz change..... makes me wanna check out Saving private Ryan.... that tank near the end has gotta be quite a treat! U571 is another that comes to mind.
Have a blast! If your visitors haven't experienced one of the large SVS units, perhaps a word of warning will be needed. It's gonna rattle their teeth!!

NicholasL

Second Unit
Lord of the Rings, when Sauron drops his ring in the first scene. MAJOR LFE content there. Also Gladiator's colliseum scenes are good for a bass demo, as is Master & Commander, Monster's Inc., and Terminator 2, when the machine crushes the human skull in the opening battle scene.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Don't forget the infamous scene in "The Haunting".....I think it's called "creaky pipes" or something.....but it's the one where all the knocking on the bedroom door takes place......I love this scene cause it's all nice and quiet (and kinda creepy), and then you hear the first knock, which is nothing unusual.........then all of a sudden BAM BAM BAM!!!!!!!! lol......I've literally scared the crap out of several unsuspecting people (including myself!) with that scene......the best was when I played it for my 89 y.o. grandmother lol

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Try Black Hawk Down. In the "Irene" scene when they fire up the choppers there is some heavy LFE content at around, I think, 17Hz and also into the single digits.....not that any subwoofer I know of could pick that up and play it with authority.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Ah yes, Black Hawk Down. That one scene where the soldiers are being lowered into the urban battlefield for the first time (the scene where Orlando Bloom dies), the propellors of the chopper send literal LFE ripples through your floor and bones. That is a true test of your subs ability. The PB2+ performs beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks