What's new

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing due March 22nd 2005 (1 Viewer)

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
The really great news is special edition is planned that will feature the CD and the 5.1 mix, I'd assume on a DVD-A.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Cool. I hope to get the dvd-audio of the last album for Christmas. Hopefully they'll tour all over America.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I was going to post about this as well. Anyone who has not gotten In Absentia yet needs to go out and get it to pass the time until March. The 5.1 mix is great and the arrangements are brilliant. It is my pick for the best album of this decade.

Deadwing was recorded with 5.1 in mind, so they won't have the technical restrictions of revisiting older recordings. Also, they are again collaborating with Elliot Scheiner on the 5.1 mix which is as good as it gets. Can you tell how excited I am about this release?

Chris

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
My guess is that it will be something to order directly from the band since they will be taking pre-orders.
Marillion did something similar with their "Marbles" CD. The special edition was a big box thing and had a two CD version of the album (about twice the length). Steven Wilson produced a few tracks for that CD and is pretty close with the band. I'm hoping PT does the same and Deadwing's special edition will have extra tracks as well (there are a number of them that didn't make the cut).

Chris

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I believe it got delayed until early April... but listening to it now... On the first track... pretty good...

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The CD is out this Tuesday and according to CD Universe, the DVD-A is out May 10.

However, I cannot find any other US retailer having pre-orders for the DVD-A except CD Universe. Anyone have info for any other US retailers?

Audio clips are available at Amazon.com for the CD.

Lee M T

Second Unit
www.towerrecords.com has the DVD-A version for $14.99 US. I may preorder there. I'm not sure. I found In Absentia at Best Buy for the same price, so I may just go their on the 10th and not have to pay shipping.

Anyhow, I am so excited for this album. I have the Lazerus single with the two B-Sides. I cannot stop jamming the disc. Since finding out about PT earlier this year, I've been snatching up as much of their music as possible. It's a shame some of the earlier work is either out of print or were a limited run only. Recordings is going for rediculous amounts on certain sites, like Amazon's Market Place.

Good news though, at the end of may we get a remastered Up The Downstair, possibly with the bonus second disc being a remaster of the B-Side Staircase Infinities album.

Supposedly either later this year or sometime next year we'll be getting remasters of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun as well.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Deadwing is fantastic. I got the official Europe release at the end of March, and it keeps getting better with each listen. Their last four CDs (including Deadwing) are all so great... it's almost impossible to put them in order. I have most of the others as well, but they just don't have the same "magic". I can't wait to hear the 5.1 version.

Chris

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Good thing I picked up a copy a few years ago at a NEARFest. (I think it was the one they performed at..)

Looking forward to the new album, as always.

Jason

Lee M T

Second Unit
I'm excited for the DVD-A version as well. One of the B-Side tracks will be a song called "Mother And Child Divided" and it will feature Opeth's Mickael Akerfeldt doing his death screams. That is going to be wild!

On another note, released today at PT's store, you can purchase their Solo Sampler CD. It's 77 minutes worth of music featuring songs from each PT members other projects. It's only 3 pounds. LoL. That'll be about $5.50 US currency. For me it came out to roughly $8 with shipping.

And yet another note, for any who may not know. One of Steven Wilson's side projects is a group called Blackfield. It's a two man group featuring Israeli singer Aviv Geffen. The album is a bit more pop sounding, but it still has a PT sort of feel. However, the entire album is virtually soft, so don't expect any thing like Blackest Eyes or a song named Shallow on here or anything. The work is very nice on the album though and I highly recommend it.

Matt Levy

Grip
I too recently just got into Porcupine Tree. I too am amazed by this band and shocked that they have not made it big yet. The DVD-Audio of In Absentia is of benchmark quality, on par with the sound quality of Pink Floyd's Dark Side in SACD. The layers of sound, the production, mix and effects are just tremendous. Don't be fooled by its 24/48 label, it is better sounding than just about anything else out there and is the DVD-Audio meant to show off your system. It won the best 5.1 surround mix award last year for a reason. I can't get enough of these guys - their sound is hard to categorize but suffice to say it is darn good - progressive rock meets atmospheric ethereal stuff. I just ordered Deadwing DVD-Audio right off of the DTS site, who are releasing it. It should arrive shortly after May 10th. The master, Elliott Scheiner, again does the 5.1 mix on Deadwing.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

It's proably my only anticipated release of new music this year.

I pre-orderd the fancy version of the album from their web-site.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I picked up Recordings at the exact same show. They had a big table of them. I really like it too. It amazes me how good a lot of their unreleased stuff is. Kind of like The Who in the 60s, who had as much good unreleased stuff as released.

Chris

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
> Good thing I picked up a copy a few years ago at a NEARFest. (I think it was the one they performed at..)

Is that the techno-y one with the cloudy reddish cover? I think I got a copy of that at the NEARFest before the one they performed at.

The morning after their performance, my buddies and I ate breakfast at the table next to Steven Wilson. I don't think he had slept at all. :)

Going to NEARFest is one of the things I miss most since moving south. Funny to see some fellow fans here on HTF.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

No, that sounds like Metanoma. Recordings has a b/w picture of a guy sitting in a chair listening to an old fashioned radio. It is a bunch of B-side stuff from the Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun sessions. It includes a long version of "Even Less". Some great things on there.

Depending how far south you are, there is ProgDay, which is in North Carolina. If you like Power Metal/Progressive Metal, there is ProgPower in Atlanta.

Jason

Lee M T

Second Unit
Wow what a dissapointment. This does not sound like PT at all. Way too much distorted guitar. SW's lyrics are pretty bad for the most part. He even has a weired flow to most of his vocals and he doesn't harmonize near enough. When he does harmonize, like for the parts you hear in the trailer for the album on Deadwing.com there's not enough of it in the tracks. For the most part, he'll do his trademark thick harmonizing just once in the track. There's a lot of meandering in several of the songs. For the most part, the album is just really boring and lackluster.

I like Lazarus a lot. This song actually gives me the warm fuzzy feeling older PT songs would give me. His voice just has more emotion in it on this song than the others. Other than that song, the remake of Shes Moved On is really the best track and it isn't even as good as the original. Glass Arm Shattering is pretty moving, but it could have done a lot more. Shallow is just pitiful. When I saw everyone hating on it in other forums, I couldn't understand what for. I thought the chorus sounded great, but that is all I heard. Now hearing the full track as well as hearing it in the full context of the album, it is indeed shallow.

I also felt the quality of the recording was not as good as In Absentia. Playing it in my home theater just isn't as crisp. I also felt the drums were weak. I definately prefer old drummer Chris Maitland. But also, I figure the particular set used by Gavin was not up to my standards. The drums just sound very weak on this album, in my opinion.

I'll definately have to continue listening to the album, many have said the album grows on you. But so far I'm bored and don't feel the emotion. PT songs are always about emotion, so sad, but so beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks