What's new

Popping sound in my speakers (1 Viewer)

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
What types of things would cause an occasional popping sound in my speakers? I have a Kenwood 6050 receiver, and an inexpensive set of RCA speakers from an older home theater in a box that I am using until I can afford better ones and a Sony 50 watt sub that I have turned up only about 1/4 of the way. I do have a couple of splices in my speaker wires, because they wouldn't reach my receiver, but I plan on rewiring soon. Could that be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
My speakers on my computer pop when a light is turned on elsewhere in the house (it is plugged into an un-grounded outlet), also is the wiring in your house old?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Steve,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Since you’re using small, inexpensive speakers with a receiver that puts out probably 100 watts per channel, I expect you are occasionally overdriving the speakers. If you only hear the sound during high-volume, demanding passages (like explosions or crashes on action flicks) then this is what is surely happening. The sound you hear is the woofer being driven beyond its maximum excursion limits.

Until you can get some better speakers, try engaging the compression (sometimes called “Night Time Viewing”) feature.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks