What's new

Popcorn and salt... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Unearthed an old jar of popcorn in the back of the cabinet so I thought to finish it off.. Unearthed the old air popper too while I was at it and made a batch of popcorn. Was wondering if there are any secrets to getting salt to actual sit on the popcorn and not simply fall to the bottom of the bowl?? Or do I have to resort to melting butter or oil? and then having the salt stick to that? It seems that plain popcorn and a little salt doesn't seem to work very well.

Jay

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
There is a very fine (pun intended) salt made especially for popcorn. It's more akin to baby powder than your normal table salt. Maybe it's worth a try.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
The "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray probably would work well in allowing the salt to adhere to the popped kernels.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I have the special "popcorn salt", which is just finer grained. It works well, but then again I slather butter substitute on my popcorn. Never tried the spray stuff, but I do use the semi-liquid stuff that comes in a bottle and just drizzle it on while the bowl fills up. This provides optimal butter and salt coverage with minimal mess.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Friend of mine used to dribble soy sauce on air-popped popcorn. No problems with getting it to stick to the popcorn, but the combination was a bit weird for my taste.

Andrej

Todd_B

Second Unit
I use the < Fabio >"Can't believe it's not bah-tuh" < /Fabio > spray and give my popcorn a few shots. Shake a little salt on top and mix.

Works great.

Todd B

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I tried air-popped popcorn again after 10 yrs. of microwave stuff. I can't believe how good the microwave stuff is. I'm not impressed with how greasy and soggy regular stuff is.:thumbsdown:

KyleS

Screenwriter
If you have anything that could spray a fine mist of water on the popcorn before salting it that would work too.

KyleS

Cam S

Screenwriter
I'm not impressed with how greasy and soggy regular stuff is
Air popped popcorn is greasy and soggy? That is news to me. You must be putting a ton of butter or some other liquid flavoring to make it like that. Air popped popcorn can be way better than the bagged stuff if you do it right.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks folks, I thought about the water idea, but didn't want to make the popcorn soggy. I also didn't want to use fattening oils or butter and I like just plain popcorn and a little salt. I have a little spray bottle that use to spray my Tarantula cages to keep some humidity in there so I can always use that on my popcorn.. (Ohhhh, I'm getting a dirty look from my Tarantula as if he thinks the spray bottle is evil)

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Last night I tried the spray bottle method and works great! Didn't make the popcorn soggy and the salt stuck.....

I've also noticed the air popper makes a good blow dryer for people who like hot air but not to much power. :D

Jay

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Just get the Pop Secret Homestyle made with real butter and real salt. My wife and I have eaten so much of it they should give us stock in the company. Great popcorn!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm not into the butter and oil kind of thing, plus I don't have a microwave. In fact, must be very antihip, I have a cell phone that I never use (prepaid, it's a 911 phone), I don't have a microwave, I've never had cable until I got a dish 2 years ago. I don't drive a SUV, in fact, I don't drive that much at all, relatively, although I like cars and gadgets.)

Jay "Anti-hip" H

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Go Jay!

We never had cable until we got a dish in October. No cell phones for my wife nor I. No microwave. And I'll one-up you: we have no car! ;)

Toronto's a pretty easy city to navigate with a transit pass.

And we make popcorn in an air popper and love it with just the teeniest drizzle of melted butter...mmmm. No salt, though.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I always wondered this...

Who originally had the brainstorm to put melted butter on popcorn? It seems like such a natural combination that we don't think of it. But someone had to try it first and then it sorta caught on...and what motivated them to do it? Were they some sort of butter freak or something...?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Nate, I think people put butter on popcorn just like they put butter on everything else. Bread, vegetables, pasta, etc. . popcorn just seems like a natural extension.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Did you go through a time warp or something? What made you find this 5 year old thread? :laugh:

Yes,
Pasta, butter, garlic powder, black pepper. Yum! Maybe add chicken.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i got one of those stove top poppers with the handle. I'll never go back to air popped again, and you can put the salt in the oil when you pour the kernels in and not even need butter, it's so damn yummers.

Still trying to figure out the sugar kettle corn though....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks