Pop Quiz: chose your video card..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Out of the following Under $50 model, which one would you choose:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ist&catalog=48
    Requirements:
    :Works in a 4x AGP slot
    :does NOT need a TV out
    :reliable drivers for Windows 2000 & a history of supporting new OSs such as when/if I upgrade to XP.
    [​IMG]ecent 2D/3D performance, doesn't need to be flashy nor does it need to be the best framerate pusher
    :32MB seems to be plenty.
    [​IMG]irectX 8.0 compatible (I guess they all say DirectX compatible, no biggie here)
    :Would be nice to be under $50
    I have a Shuttle AK31a KT266a board which I hope is not having video because of my old video card so I'm going to try to replace the video card and upgrade my power supply at the same time. Help me choose a stable card. I'm not a big game player, mostly strategy games or simulations so typically I don't need the best refresh rates or graphics but I'd like to get something that's perhaps a good value and not the leading edge (read: costly).
    Thanks a bunch..
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

You probably can't go too far wrong with the Abit Siluro GeForce2 MX 200. $44 without the TV out seems pretty reasonable to me. Drivers are available for most things, including a rather good (though partly closed source) Linux one. The Radeon LE is a similiar performance I believe, but I've heard so many nightmare stories about driver issues I'd stay away myself.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Done deal, $52 shipped, that's kind of what I've been leaning too.. Seems like everybody and thier mother has a Geforce 2/3 so I guess it must mean something. Hope I get it by turkey day. Now if that doesn't fix my problem, I'm ditching the Shuttle and probably try an EPox EP-8KHa+
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGGBEES!
    Certified HTF bike nut and mayor of
    Obscuria.