What's new

poll from Sony insider paidgeek - which audio coding method do you prefer ? (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

Best Choice?:confused:

MarekM or anyone,

Can someone please explain why DD TrueHD seems to be the best choice, when DTS HD MA is also "20 or 24 bit (lossless)" and doesn't have to have a separate hidden Legacy DD track shadowing it, taking up extra audio space along with the DD TrueHD track, when it is encoded on Blu-ray discs?

Thanks,

Paul

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
DTS HD MA will still be a huge hog since it's inefficient. I'd prefer DTHD as long as they don't use dial norm.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

One of the rumored titles is Lawrence Of Arabia. If they bring out Lawrence Of Arabia with DTS HD-MA later this year, chances are none of us will be able to hear it except for the lossy core track. In the future when DTS HD-MA can be decoded, it may be the best choice (I'd have to see actual numbers on space taken). But I'm really hoping to hear LOA in lossless so I'd have to say 24-bit TrueHD would be the way to go in this instance. Things may be different a year from now.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, if you're the kind of person who listens to dubbed movies you probably won't mind low bitrate mono mixes.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hard to believe that Sony Pictures would do a DTS-MA track for LoA when they haven't released a DTS blu-ray track yet have they? I was thinking that Sony mainly does uncompressed PCM and now doing some Dolby THD. Fox uses DTS...I could be wrong.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Some have argued that even with the redundand hidden DD track TrueHD is more space efficient than DTS-MA. The numbers always seem hard to come by. If true, TrueHD is the way to go, at least from Sony, which does not apply DialNorm. Especially as there's plenty of TrueHD equipment out there.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Without a doubt audio has got to me the single most frustrating and confusing aspect of HDM. Add two formats and it makes it doubly so.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Seems to me that the poll is geared toward trying to get a feel of which branding strategy might work best for Sony. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just that this poll doesn't really have anything to do with trying to establish which audio format is the best. And it would certainly be difficult to establish that since I doubt any person can hear a difference between those lossless formats (certain things being equal).

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Nobody has a way of decoding DTS-MA, that should be the last audio codec they consider. TruHD is a lot less bandwidth intensive than PCM and many players can now decode it, so that's my choice.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The math really tells the story. I'll go dig it up but basically DTS MA to equal the same as DTHD and PCM, requires lots more space to accomplish this. Lots more space to do the same thing is inefficient because it takes away from the space needed for HD extras and a high bitrate PQ.

50 gigs of BR space gives you a luxury of room but still 50 gigs will be struggling after movie companies start to put 3 hr movies with audio and extras to match the super high quality video.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I will accept nothing less than 16-channel, 384 Khz/48-bit uncompressed PCM sound.

Vincent

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I do not understand the bickering about the lossless Dolby and DTS HD formats: Both take up much less space than PCM and they are lossless - so not choosing PCM is a no-brainer.

Now how can somebody even consider a codec that cannot benefit any owner of Blue-Ray or HD-DVD hardware up to this point ? Either DTS or the hardware companies, most likely both sides, missed the boat on this audio format with ZERO hardware support.

So this only leaves Dolby TruHD - very good, low bandwidth and compatible with just about every player there is :)

Let's just hope that Fox will also finally see the light.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I agree with you. My vote is for Dolby TrueHD because it is currently supported in almost every player out there. DTS MA is not even being hinted at by the manufacturers as future support.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, not entirely true. In the PS3 Blog, they said that they were working towards getting sound features that everyone wants going, take that for what it's worth.

I think the PS3 is really our only hope of a 1st gen player that can suppost DTS-MA, but the user base will have to really push them hard on it. But the way they've been upgrading features, they just might do it.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I just want to keep the 16/24 bit LPCM tracks coming out...

I don't care too much about TrueHD or DTSMA as PCM is pure and already decoded...

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Actually Sony is asking because it will possibly have an impact on the video quality. They are basically looking to do one encode of the original language in lossless and one video encode for the whole world. They will then load up the Blu-Ray for European release with 640kbs DD soundtracks for all the foreign languages in use there. There could be 6+ foreign language tracks in addition to the lossless one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks