What's new

Polk speakers (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have read multiple threads on this forum and seen many speakers get recommended but I haven't noticed anyone mention Polk speakers. Has anyone had any experience with Polk speakers in general? I am currently thinking about the RTi series, but am curious of anybody else's experiences.

CraigVH

Auditioning
If you do a search on Polk you will find many happy Polk ownwers here.

I own the RTi's (RTi8 mains, CSi5 center, RTi6 surrounds) and love them! The only con may be that they are quite bright and not very forgiving when it comes to sibilant sounds. However, I've seen this same complaint across many brands and this is probably a byproduct of a poorly mastered source and will be present with any quality speaker with a reasonably flat, accurate response.

BTW the CSi5 is well worth the extra $$ vs. the CSi3 - I owned both and the CSi5 is sounds much fuller and more natural. However, it's probably best to match your center to your mains IE if you get RTi4's which have 5.25" speakers you should consider the CSi3 as it has 5.25" speakers and may be a better voice-match.

I have never owned a Polk sub but common opinion seems to be that Polk's subs are not of the same quality as their other products.

These are all opinons based on personal experience and what I've read - please be sure to listen to lots of options before purchasing anything - speakers are completely subjective. What I love, you may hate!!

Regards,

CVH

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator
I own Polks as well. I imagine you will be very happy with the RTi series. Many people are. If you want to know more about Polk speakers, the place to go would be the Polk forum. Lots of helpful people over there.

My guess as to why they get little mention on here is they tend to be very common speakers. Its more fun to talk about the exotic, lesser known ones. Just a theory.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
Another polk fan here. I've noticed a lot of people here blow off polk recommendations, so I agree there doesn't seem to be much polk love on this forum unless it has to do with LSi's. Only a handful of companies offer real wood (RTi series) for similar prices. That said, I'd look hard at the Rockets lineup too. Anyway, I've used RTi speakers for my fronts and center for years up until I got the R50s for fronts. I can tell no difference whatsoever between the characteristics in sound between the trilaminate tweeters(RTi series) and the silk/polymer tweeters(R series). Polk does a good job matching the tone, although they would have you believe you have to stick with their recommendations. Now, with the LSi's I'm sure that's true considering they have Vifa tweeters. Anyway, I'm digressing. Regarding your post, Kevin, I've been more than thrilled with all the Polks I've had (R10, RT25i, CS245i, and R50), and I'm having a tough time refraining from buying some R30s at their current price.

Van Patton

Second Unit
I can't rave enough about the Polk's I have had since, roughly, 1999. I have a couple of Rt1000's up front along with the CS400 center speaker, balanced out with some polk surrounds in the back----forget the series name. The sub I have is an Infinity sub and it does its jobs well.

I am running all of these through a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver and they do a helluva job!!! Just because they are not elitist brand speakers that cost $3000.00 a pair doesn't mean they aren't good! Very solid speakers.

Max F

Second Unit
Make sure you listen to the Polks first ofcourse. The Rti's really bothered my ears - i'm sensitive to the upper ranges. I did think the Rti6's sounded pretty good though.

All of this is pretty subjective so let your ears be the judge.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am gla d to see that there are a few people that are happy with their Polks. I was a little nervous seeing all the other speaker brands mentioned, but no Polk. Don't worry, I will definetely listen to anything first, before I buy.

Does anyone have any good experience with Polk subs, or should I look into another brand for my sub, if I go with the Polks for the other speakers?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
OWN:
1. Polk car speakers---excellent, better bass than Infinity but highs are just a little better in the Infinity
2. Polk R20 bookshelves---all bass and not much else, horrible mids and highs

AUDITIONED:
3. Polk RTi4 bookshelves---high end screeches and distorts quickly at high volumes, weak mids
4. Polk RTi8 towers---very good all around but pricey, at around $700 a pair I'd go for the Paradigm Monitor 7 in a NY minute
5. Polk RTi10 towers---more bass than the 8s, but not as clear on the mids/highs
6. Polk LSi? towers---very nice but also overpriced, you can get better at that price point from less well known manufacturers IMO

Your subs don't have to be the same make as your speakers, so don't base your choice on that.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Lsi's overpriced?!? You've got to be kidding! While good sound is in the ear of the individual listener, this comment goes against every review that I've read. Sorry eddie but you couldn't be more wrong. They may not be right for you, but they are far from overpriced.

If your R20's are that terrible, why did you buy 'em? Makes very little sense. I'd be suspect of your source and amplification before condeming the speaker.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

This has not been my experience with the R10's and R50's which use the same tweeters, but I'm a novice when it comes to speakers. Maybe your expectations are little high for $50-$100 speakers. Let's keep things in perspective.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I've had Polks since 1979, when I bought my Monitor 7s I had already bought a pair for my mother a couple of years befroe that. Both pairs of speakers are still in use. I currently have RTi 38s and CSi 30 (I think that's the correct model #) as the fronts in my HT. I'm perfectly happy with them.

I could tell a difference between th e R series and the RTis, and would recommend the RTis if you can swing the extra cash.

I imagine that teh subs are designed with size in mind as much as bass performance. Thus the compromise in quality there. They are probably fine for most applications, but if you have reached a point where you are asking about speakers on an internet forum, you are ready for something more than average.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Frank & Brian,

I fell prey to that phenomenon known as Being A Sucker For A Bargain: the R20s I bought at Circuit City on Black Friday for $80/pr. I did listen to them before I bought but their listening room is useless, the speakers are about thirty feet apart and the only CD they had was Christmas showtunes which were annoying just to listen to at all, let alone listen to closely at high volumes.

Before CC discontinued them, I believe the regular retail price was $200-250 a pair...had I paid that much for them I most definitely would've taken them back but for $80 I can only complain a little bit.

Tried them on my main stereo and they were abysmal so I switched them out with the Mordaunt Short MS05s which I had running on my bedroom's humble Sony compact system, these are tiny little speakers probably about 2/3 the size and weight of the R20s.

The Mordaunt Shorts blew them out of the water on the mids and highs and didn't distort until maybe +10db, whereas the R20s were crackling by about -15db. At moderate volumes below -25db the Polks were not nearly as bad.

Originally I used an Onkyo 601 which I've sent back, that day I happened to also have a Marantz SR5400 which I ended up keeping. Heard the Polks on both.

When I say the LSi speakers are overpriced I guess I'm mainly comparing them to the likes of Paradigm and Monitor Audio, not the real high-end stuff.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
No need to explain eddie, if your opinion is based on your experience, then I value it. I prefer to have people give me their good and bad experiences, makes for more objective opinions. As I said, I will make sure to test these out before I buy, and I will bring my own cd's.

As for everyone else, thanks for the glowing reviews, glad to see that I am not the only Polk fan out there. ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tend to agree with eddie that the LSIs are a bit overpriced. Their midrange sounds more or less identical to the RTi line, the improvements are basically a more solid cabinet and the nice ring radiator tweeter. I had the LSi7s and spent a lot of time with them in more than one setup. I like them, but for the $$, probably would not have them in my system unless I got a good discount on them.

I've never been a fan of the R, RT, RTi stuff from Polk.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Kevin,

When you test out the speakers make sure the source receiver is set on "stereo" or "pure direct" so that you're not hearing sound that's already been electronically modified. Some salespeople are known to "tweak" the sound for certain models or makes that they're trying really hard to unload, esp. if there is a quota or bonus involved.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I am worried about when I am testing the speakers at different locations, more than likely I will be using different receivers, is this something I should worry about, or does setting it to 'stereo' resolve this?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
That's a good question.

I always asked for the same receiver, and was usually able to get it. Not really sure what to do if it wasn't possible.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
RTi series have better mid and high then the R series. I have the previous generation RTi (RTi70 & CSi40). I like them more than the current RTi series. IMO the treble is brighter with the current RTi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks